Security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to fit a security light to my gable end.

The only socket I can use on that wall is in my bedroom as I have laminate flooring in the living room so can't get under the floor.

I think the best way is to spur it off the bedroom socket and put a switched fuse spur in a surface mounted box, and I could place the box over the hole I would need to drill through the masonry (it is a solid wall) to put the flex out to power the light.

Would this be ok?

I'm not in the house right now so can't check if the cables come through vertically dropped conduit, what is the likelyhood of this or there being some sort of other arrangement for the cable route?

I know there are regulations or guidelines as to where I can drill due to cables being in the walls, could someone tell me what I can or can't do, or the best way to do it?

Thanks

Or even a completely new

Sponsored Links
PeterOlson said:
Hi,

I wish to fit a security light to my gable end.

DON'T it will shine everywhere and annoy everybody, i have a "neighbour" who is the other side of a park I can see his light come on with no trouble

i was thinking of getting one of
prd{870700E8-7B0D-4513-9661-38486F147890}.jpg
these to get my own back, its got a HMI575 discharge lamp.

Peter, your plan sounds ok for what you want. When you drill the hole, check out cable zones. dont drill vertically or horizontally to any switches or sockets, and dont drill within 150mm of any corner. Going straight through the wall behind an accessory is fine.

What wattage light are you thinking of fitting? Make sure you aim it at the ground, and that NONE of the light leaks beyond your property. If it has a PIR, also make sure that people walking past your property dont set it off - this really irritates me - i walk down my street at night and at least 3 lights come on as i walk past the houses (set back about 5 metres from the street and we have more than adequate street lights, white lights not orange). Still, if people want to waste their electricity, i suppose thats their own problem.

Breezer, that light costs £438. Is it really worth it? I suppose it would start to irritate him after a while with you changing the colour, and i could borrow it to irritate my neighbours . . . :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back