security lighting and zs query

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Did mine at Shrewsbury Collage of Arts & Technoligy. £200 for the 4 day course. Some companies and professional bodies are extracting the urine.

Purely from a circuit theory viewpoint ----

It's a bit more complicated than I first thought. :confused: :confused: :confused: For the worst case analysis of a single fault condition in the lamp, the ring should be assumed to be carrying its rated current because this will reduce the voltage at the FCU. With this lower voltage as a starting point, use the 3 amp fuse characteristics to calculate the maximum wiring resistance. :) :) :)

I'm still in 2 minds about having a device with a 5s disconnection time on a circuit with 0.4s times, even to the 16th ed.
Does BS7671 give a max Zs figure for a 3A fuse?

I see it that the circuit ends at the live side of the fused spur, the fused spur being a distribution point. The outgoing side being a separate circuit protected by a BS1362 fuse.
When completing EIC with a fused spur fed off a ring final I create a separate 'Schedule of circuit details / test results'. At the top of the schedule I would put the fuseway that protects the ring final at the source of supply, BS88 32A for example.

That way, there's a clear line between the two circuits.

Imagine having a TN-S property with an external impedance of 0.8ohms and a ring final with an R1+R2 reading of 0.4ohms, Zs would read the maximum allowed for a B32 MCB (1.2ohms corrected), parellel earths omitted.
That would leave no headway to connected a fused connection unit and run 20M of 1.5mm cable around the garden for lighting (class 2 with no E-C-P), adding another 0.6ohms to the Zs value (if you count this as part of the ring final).

As circuits are now separated I see no issue with using a 0.4s disconnection time for the ring final and feed side of the fused spur and 5s disconnection time for the outing circuit.

As for max Zs figures of BS1362 fuses, no I haven't seen the source but use a document created by a member on the IET forums which lists both 3A and 13A figures for both 0.4 and 5s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back