See through roof tiles?

tre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this sounds a really silly idea but has anyone ever heard of anything like a roof slate that lets light in - without it being missing or broken!!! -
we want to build a bathroom into the attic space but wouldnt get approval for a window of any sort so my thinking is - this is the mad bit - if we could fit a velux style window with slates that let light in we MAY just get away with it.
Ive never heard of anything like it but if someone wants to design some let me know please

Sponsored Links
You can get glass roof tiles, depends what roof covering you have at the moment.
they are mechanically fixed though.

• Thanks
Reactions: tre
Thanks for that I will have a look but
we currently have a slate roof so not sure if I can match them in. I dont think they will like whatever we decide to do! the other option I may consider is a solartube but I do like an opening window - unless I can fit a velux window but cover it with slates somehow so you cant see it! least I can open it slightly without much chance of anyone seeing it.

I'm assuming you are in a conservation area or listed building.

i suppose it would be possible to install a velux, remove the glass fit plywood get it all weathered and slated...it would look strange and the weight may make it difficult or impossible to open :( .

Sponsored Links
you should ask b/control if that's acceptable or indeed what is acceptable as they are the ones to pass it ;)

unless I can fit a velux window but cover it with slates somehow so you cant see it! least I can open it slightly without much chance of anyone seeing it.
Just fitted 2 velux sun tunnel last week and I don't know if you know they now do sun tunnel with built-in ventilation with a electric fan, I suppose you could do away with a fan and put in a hit/miss vent instead for ventilation as and when (?)

You shouldn't have too much issue with Sun Pipes being installed instead, most refusals for roof windows are to do with privacy issues and as you can't see out of a sun pipe this problem does not occur.

Monodraught do one in fact that also acts as an extract vent as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back