seeking reassurance

To me, a manufacturer claiming that a product is compliant must mean that it is! I suspect they have a large product development team, including legal council, that ensures that these things are fit for purpose and live up to ALL of their claims. Anything else would be gross negligence or deceit.

I think you have a valid point.
ditto

Sponsored Links
Do the manufacturers say their product specifically complies with regulation 526.3 (iv), or do they just say that there product has maintenence free terminals, and complies with the the 17th edition regulations?

Exactly. A twin socket could be sold as complying with the 17th edition regulations, and when it is installed in a living room it obviously does.

Now picture that very same socket which is quite rightly sold as complying with the 17th edition regulations installed in a shower cubicle.

Does it still comply with the 17th edition regulations? ;)

Sponsored Links
they'd enforce retrspective removal (as they did with asbestos)

Have I missed something about removing asbestos As far as I am aware legislation has made it more difficult to remove asbestos. I come across the stuff on a very regular basis in my work. By now most of it is located and labelled but not all.

complies with the the 17th edition regulations
Manufacturer's claims like that have no meaning. An open screw terminal sold with no insulation could comply with the regulations, depending on where and how it is installed.

RF Lighting said:
socket which is quite rightly sold as complying with the 17th edition regulations
How? I can see how it complies with BS 1363, but BS 7671 doesn't specify its function or what it should look like. It allows you to comply with the regulations, dependant in installation , but there's nothing in the regulations for it to comply to.

There is a link to the a guide/brochure at the bottom of the page I provided the link to in an earlier thread.

In it is a product selection guide.
Is the location accessible? No. Maintenance free terminals required.
The next page has a selection chart which categorically states that Maintenance Free Junction Boxes are "Suitable for use in inaccessible locations".

The document is titled "junction box guide to the 17th edition."

In it is a product selection guide.
Is the location accessible? No. Maintenance free terminals required.
That is not what the Wiring Regulations say.

The next page has a selection chart which categorically states that Maintenance Free Junction Boxes are "Suitable for use in inaccessible locations".
I do not believe that claim to be true.

The document is titled "junction box guide to the 17th edition."
Sales/marketing obfuscation.

complies with the the 17th edition regulations
Manufacturer's claims like that have no meaning. An open screw terminal sold with no insulation could comply with the regulations, depending on where and how it is installed.

RF Lighting said:
socket which is quite rightly sold as complying with the 17th edition regulations
How? I can see how it complies with BS 1363, but BS 7671 doesn't specify its function or what it should look like. It allows you to comply with the regulations, dependant in installation , but there's nothing in the regulations for it to comply to.

I'm afraid I'd disagree with you on your first point. The manufacturer is clearly stating that this product is fit for purpose and they clearly state that purpose as being for the joining of cables in inaccessible locations.

This is still governed by the Sale of Goods act.

Bas, there does seem to be a touch of contradiction (or at least ambiguity)between the reg itself and the note in app15. (surprised? - maybe planned for a revision under the 19th ed? :) )
Maybe the manufacturers are exploiting/using the regs that way to make their claim?

(i realise its an appendix, but its still in the book)

So where does this leave your average Joe DIY'er?

I am sure many, like me, have some interest in making sure their work is in order but if the regs, manufacturers and sparks are at odds then is it any wonder people get fed up and does as they like?

How are these regulations brought in anyway? Is there a consultation process or is it a bunch of nameless, faceless beauracrats on a committee that decide what is best for all involved?

I am sure many, like me, have some interest in making sure their work is in order but if the regs, manufacturers and sparks are at odds then is it any wonder people get fed up and does as they like?

The regulations are actually pretty clear about most things and state what they state, in the way they state it, for good reason. The trouble starts when those regulations are read by non-expert humans; to whit, electricians, manufacturers, sales and marketing teams, other trades and the keen DIYer.

Finding the wording of the regulations a bit too 'exact' (for which read, requiring technical literacy) most turn to asking somebody else; it really is the blind leading the blind out there.

I have some sympathy for the general public but none at all for the lazy electrician who relies on ancient memory, the lad at the wholesalers and advertising material for his knowledge of the regs.

you're asking us??? pffftt!
try mandelson or whoever is currently (ir)responsible for the mess
no surprises whatsoever. Except to the numnutz beaurocrats who created the monster. Part P seems to have had the total opposite effect to what it should have had, much to everybodies annoyance.
How are these regulations brought in anyway? Is there a consultation process or is it a bunch of nameless, faceless beauracrats on a committee that decide what is best for all involved?
probably, but its all kept very secret until its all too late. The codename for the secret operation is JPEL/64

What about keeping abreast of the discussions on DIYnot? :D :p

EDIT - that was a reply to dingbat's lack of sympathy . . .

What about keeping abreast of the discussions on DIYnot? :D :p

EDIT - that was a reply to dingbat's lack of sympathy . . .

great idea, you can find all the information you would ever need regarding the installation of downlighters :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back