Seized Mains Water Stop Cock, Live Change Advice.

rvp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My Parents internal water stop cock has seized, I've tried everything to budge it heat, hammer! etc etc but nothing.

External stop cock is missing in action, no sign of it anywhere outside the property or in the 3 man hole covers in the Garden!

I can see one across the road (marked W) but I am guessing that's not it or is it??

I have contacted Untied Utilities to find find where it is but not heard back yet.

I need to fit a new syphon in the toilet and there are no isolated valves grrrrrr.

Can I do it 'LIVE' opening the taps to reduce the pressure whilst I quickly add a isolating valve to the copper pipe?

Will I flood the kitchen?!!!!

Any advice? Yes they could get a Plumber in but I figure it's a easy job - famous last words!!

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Can I do it 'LIVE' opening the taps to reduce the pressure whilst I quickly add a isolating valve to the copper pipe?

Try wedging the fill valve open, to see what happens to the flow - whilst all the other cold taps are open, you should be able to judge whether it is doable or not, from that. Another way would be to use a pipe freezer kit.

I wouldn’t expect to find a stopcock in a manhole. Also, if you’re only changing the syphon, can you tie up the float valve whilst carrying out the repair?

Will I flood the kitchen?!!!!

Any advice? Yes they could get a Plumber in but I figure it's a easy job - famous last words!!

Get a Plumber in. Having been there, (myself as an apprentice and a Friend at the time who was apprenticed to a Builder), we thought we could get away with changing a Stop Tap in an Outside WC, live. Pressure was minimal downstream of the Valve, so didnt think it an issue. My Friend decided to start undoing the Valve at the supply side, (I think had I been doing it and realised the pressure trying to escape as I loosened it, I'd have stopped and retightened it. He didnt....)

Second the Valve was free it hit the ceiling, and flew off out the door, meanwhile he was trying to get new fitting on the end of the pipe, pressure was just too much and blew everything clean out his hand. Good job it was outside, as by the time the nice Man from the Water Co had arrived to shut the supply off we'd flooded several gardens....

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t expect to find a stopcock in a manhole. Also, if you’re only changing the syphon, can you tie up the float valve whilst carrying out the repair?
I thought it may be with a water meter in one of them but alas not, who has 3 man hole covers anyway!

I can't tie the float up as the whole lot has to come out to fit the new syphon unless I am missing something!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Get a Plumber in. Having been there, (myself as an apprentice and a Friend at the time who was apprenticed to a Builder), we thought we could get away with changing a Stop Tap in an Outside WC, live. Pressure was minimal downstream of the Valve, so didnt think it an issue. My Friend decided to start undoing the Valve at the supply side, (I think had I been doing it and realised the pressure trying to escape as I loosened it, I'd have stopped and retightened it. He didnt....)

Second the Valve was free it hit the ceiling, and flew off out the door, meanwhile he was trying to get new fitting on the end of the pipe, pressure was just too much and blew everything clean out his hand. Good job it was outside, as by the time the nice Man from the Water Co had arrived to shut the supply off we'd flooded several gardens....

Now that has put me off a bit! I really don't want to ruin the kitchen!! the only saving grace is the mains water feed is right next to a window in the kitchen so my plan was to divert the water out through that till I then go to plan B!

I will decide tomorrow and let you know how it goes! wish me luck!!

I thought it may be with a water meter in one of them but alas not, who has 3 man hole covers anyway!

I can't tie the float up as the whole lot has to come out to fit the new syphon unless I am missing something!
Ah, close coupled then? Go with @Harry Bloomfield suggestion then and use a freeze kit.

Reactions: rvp
Hi, if using a freezer kit, once frozen, cut the pipe and then fit an isolation valve. This will now give you plenty of time to repair the toilet.
PS I remember the time working on a 'live' mains water pipe at my fathers home, the fountain from the cut pipe still haunts me, never again...

Quick update.

I have managed to free it up using plenty of lube, a few sharp smacks with a hammer and undoing the gland nut (y)

I will now be fitting a lever shut off valve.

Thanks for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back