self cert schemes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to join a self cert scheme I have my partp and 17th edition, looking for some advice and what to expect when they assess you etc and the best one to join in respect to value for money etc.

Sponsored Links
The schemes have differing entry qualifications.

Can you explain what qualification "Part P" is?
I thought that Part P was a Building Regulation.

Also, usually when the misnomer 'part P qualification' is quoted it means being registered with a scheme.

Sponsored Links
I am just after some clarification. How can you have a qualification in a Building Regulation.

NICEIC, for instance require " a relevant qualification which includes the C&G 2382 certificate.

Thats more like it IMO

Yea sorry its the EAL qualification and 17th edition, I tried napit today and they want test and inspection, anyone know of any that dont require that?

this is what the it states on there website

EAL Domestic Electrical Installer, Part P Certificate

Yea sorry its the EAL qualification and 17th edition, I tried napit today and they want test and inspection, anyone know of any that dont require that?
Given that you would (presumably) be wanting to self-certify work which, by definition, would require you to undertake inspection and testing, would you really expect any scheme to accept you without some I&T qualification?

Kind Regards, John

anyone know of any that dont require that?
All of the others. Meaning ELECSA or NICEIC.
NAPIT have always required additional qualifications for reasons known only to themselves.

Something else to consider is that from April 2013, the vast majority of work is not notifiable anyway.

[url]http://www.accesstraininguk.co.uk/electrical-courses/part-p-certificate[/url] said:
This is because since January of 2005 all fixed electrical installations in dwellings must be suitably designed, installed, inspected and tested so as to provide reasonable protection against them becoming a source of a fire or a cause of injury to persons.

So before that date it wasn't necessary to provide reasonable protection against the risk of fire or injury ? Or was it that in those days there were fewer cowboys and many more genuine and safety conscious tradesmen who did not need laws to control them..... :evil:

before that date it wasn't necessary to notify.

that is all.

before that date it wasn't necessary to notify. that is all.
It's not really as simple as that. Before Part P, there was nothing in the Building Regs which explicitly required electrical installations to be 'safe'. Furthermore, even after January 2005, some work did not have to be notified, but did have to comply with the requirement of Part P for it to be 'safe'. That has become more important in the last couple of weeks, since very little electrical work is now notifiable, but all of it is required to comply with Part P of the Building Regs.

Kind Regards, John

I doubt the number of cowboys and bodgy DIYers changed much while the laws changed and changed again.

I doubt the number of cowboys and bodgy DIYers changed much while the laws changed and changed again.
I also doubt that it changed much. In fact, there was such a paucity of publicity that I imagine that a high proportion (particularly of DIYers) genuinely never became aware of the 2005 (or 2013) changes, particularly in relation to notification. So, just by remaining ignorant for just over 8 years, many of them are now back with more-or-less the situation which many of them probably thought had always existed!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back