Which organisation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which of the several organizations is best to apply to for membership if i pass courses and want to join a domestic installers scheme to allow me to self cert.

Also any suggestions on fact all of them say you have to be assessed on site at jobs you complete. Does this mean i do jobs that would break the rules or that i go the way of informing council and getting them to sign them off.

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i get it all right.

Sponsored Links
ELECSA.

You have to show works that comply with BS7671 and demonstrate understanding of design, installation , inspect, test.
It is legal requirement that you comply with Part P

Thanks i have read a lot of people not to happy with niceic so i will look to Elecsa. The course is at the City of Bristol and aims to ensure you understand all requirements both theory and practise.

Any suggestions on books etc, as although i have experience of doing the install it is making sure i know the standards req.

im one who was not happy with nic.

im now with Napit and i think there much better and they also gave me a good dealon registration :D

Sponsored Links
I am also with NAPIT..I was recommended them and joined last year.
I find them very helpfull and they are cheaper than the NICEIC.

The area inspector (for South Wales) is a great guy who at my first inspection said "I am not out to trick you" and took into account my nervousness ( I made a minor mistake during testing)

Elecswa though I understand are quite good too I think they have however been taken over by the ECA

Good luck

google "BS7671" and click the amazon link.. it'll take you to the page selling the regs book. but also at the bottom is a "users who bought this also bought these.." section where there are many usefull books listed for installation..

Thanks for that. Just looked at the Napit site where it gives details of their training and requirements. It says they provide all the tools reqd but suggests it may be beneficial to have your own test equipment which i have also seen on here people saying its easier to use your own . Looked around seen flukes and meggers .

I know i am not started on course yet, (start Feb) but have to think ahead as equipment costly. Any suggestions on what to go for.

Thanks again

Select is the only real option for Scotland, a few NICEIC members up here but they are not approaved certifiers of construction and can't sign off building warrants. At the ELEX trade show NICEIC came up with Part P publications which does not apply in Scotland so they are a bit behind the times, up here anyway.

www.select.org.uk

Do look carefully at each of the five organisations requirements. They are all supposed to work to the same rules but have different interpretations of them. For example:- some will want you to get your assessment job(s) notified to LABC first some don't. The number and type of jobs required for assessment varies as well. Check out what suits your situation. Phone them up and discuss first; get it confirmed by email and keep a copy to show to the assessor if he/she questions anything. I had plenty of differeing advice but once my assessor saw what advice his own HQ had given he was fine. He didnt agree with it but had no choice.

Thanks for that. Just looked at the Napit site where it gives details of their training and requirements. It says they provide all the tools reqd but suggests it may be beneficial to have your own test equipment which i have also seen on here people saying its easier to use your own . Looked around seen flukes and meggers .

I know i am not started on course yet, (start Feb) but have to think ahead as equipment costly. Any suggestions on what to go for.

Thanks again
A little tip...I wouldnt go for the Fluke range as they are extremely expensive....especially the multi tester and I have tried using it but aint keen. Others may argue differently of course
..The Robin range is quite reasonable and possible to pick up on EBAY..I bought my Insulation Resistance/ohmeter Loop/ PSC and Rcd tester straight from Robin themselves which were cheaper than in the electrical suppliers. These are bog standard and easy to get to know

Also when I finally did my BS 2391...2 years ago the college used exactly the same instrments as I had which made things easier :D

But go ahead and use NAPIT'S instruments...Saves forking out lots of cash for the moment
good luck

Which of the several organizations is best to apply to for membership if i pass courses and want to join a domestic installers scheme to allow me to self cert.

Also any suggestions on fact all of them say you have to be assessed on site at jobs you complete. Does this mean i do jobs that would break the rules or that i go the way of informing council and getting them to sign them off.

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i get it all right.

Just a quick question ...What courses are you on?..Are you going to do the BS2391 testing and Inspection?...Gotta tell you...its a bitch of an exam. I got through by the skin of my teeth..Hopefully the college will give you past papers which will help you get a "feel" of whats to come
but you should pick up lots o help in the old "IEE Inspection and Testing Guidance Notes Three"
Plenty of help though for you on the internet
Cheers

hello jujubean i am about to do the domestic installers course which allows me to apply to join. I have to pass the above and then you are assessed. After this i have to pass the 2381 and 2391 within a given time (12 months)

Have seen a few people say the 2391 is a bit of a **** gonna take a lot of practise and reading. But it will be worth it in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back