Self Drilling Plug Disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So as many before me I’m sure, I was attempting to fit a nylon self drilling plasterboard plug and I rounded it off with my driver... it was still quite proud so I had to remove it.
I tried to replace it with a metal one but when I went to drive the screw in it failed and pulled out (creating quite a clean hole)

I now have a 10mm hole. I need to attach the below fixing which supports a strap hanging a mirror approximately 10kg in weight.

Moving location of the hole doesn’t really work in this situation unfortunately.

Any suggestions very welcome.

D9A71BDD-E952-48A4-93B5-50D6510020EC.jpeg

68D6D66E-B48E-4B82-BF20-7237CFDCAD49.jpeg

Sponsored Links
And what's the largest diameter screw that will fit through the hole in the bracket? (or do you have a drill and bits to enlarge it?)

Wall is plasterboard (stud wall) no timber near the area unfortunately.

Hole dia is 5/6mm and I could open it up if needed but don’t have my vice setup atm

Sponsored Links
Go for an M5 spring toggle then I'd say. I normally recommend the 'brolly type' for plasterboard, but they should really be used with a clean hole through the board, yours looks a bit chewed up and you'd need to go up to the M6 size really to clean up the hole.

Just be aware, with spring toggles, if you need to take it down temporarily in the future (e.g. for decorating), then the toggle part falls down inside the wall and you need another one.

And, if all else fails, chop a bit of board out, fiddle a short length of timber through the hole, screw it in place through the board, fill the holes and repair as much as necessary, then fix fixing into the timber.

Last edited:
I bought some GripIts earlier today, had a go with them tonight and managed to get it mounted on the wall.

5C3180E0-F749-41AE-8AE8-1053A461F6C8.jpeg

Might get some no nails tape (or equivalent) as the mirror tends to lean off the wall and to take as a bit of a fail safe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back