Self Installing Hive V1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, first time post so advanced apologies if anything amiss!

Having searched the site the other week I managed to convince myself this would be an easy install, so picked up the heating and hot water version from Toolstation.

Having now taken a more detailed look at my current set up it appears a little more difficult, so just wanted to double check with the experts before I start!

The current set up is a Drayton Digistat for room temperature and a wired stat to the hot water cylinder. There is also a Honeywell ST6400C programmer. These in turn are connected to a Honeywell Circuit board. Pictures attached.

I originally assumed the Hive simply replaced the Digistat, but now I guess the programmer needs disconnecting and the wires from the hot water cylinder stat need to make their way to the Hive??

The set up is a Y plan, on a condensing boiler, the pump for which is connected to the boiler and not directly connected to the circuit board.

Would be grateful for pointers before I do anything stupid......

Thanks for looking, please let me know if anymore info needed.

5lugger

Digistat.jpg Programmer.jpg Circuit Board.jpg

Sponsored Links
I originally assumed the Hive simply replaced the Digistat, but now I guess the programmer needs disconnecting
The Hive replaces the programmer.
The Digistat is removed and a wire link installed in the wiring box.
All of the wires required for the Hive should be located behind the programmer.

The Hive replaces the programmer.
The Digistat is removed and a wire link installed in the wiring box.
All of the wires required for the Hive should be located behind the programmer.

Thanks for your reply, first chance I've had to look.

What do you mean when you say a wire link is installed in the wiring box? Currently the circuit box (wiring box?) in picture 3 has the wires for the room stat (9 o'clock in the picture) and these run to the digistat in picture 1. If the digistat is disconnected where would these wires then go?

Again, apologies if I'm being daft!!

Wires to the thermostat are disconnected from the wiring box and removed, as they are not required.
A link is then installed between two of the terminals in the box, this is the equivalent of having the thermostat set to on permanently. Probably terminals 1&3 although this must be checked first.

All of the switching is done by the Hive box which uses the same wiring as the programmer.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully this will get looked at.

Installed the Hive, and after a bit of palaver with the thermostat connecting to the hub all in order.

However, now we are into Central Heating time I've noticed when the CH kicks in both the CH and Hot Water lights are on the Hub Receiver. Does this mean I'm also producing Hot Water when I only want heating? The reverse doesn't happen, so if only HW not central heating. I'm curious how this happens, and more importantly if it needs looking at.

The system set up remains as before, with the previous advice given followed, so any additional clues will be gratefully received.

Yes, it's a gravity fed system. Expansion tank in loft & cylinder tank next to boiler, which is a condenser. There is a circulating pump though. Would this make it fully pumped?

Do you have any motorised valves? And did you have separate control before hive was fitted? If the pump runs when only hot water is selected then it is likely the hive is just set wrong.

Edit: I missed the part about you having Y plan!

Last edited:
Yes, it's a gravity fed system. Expansion tank in loft & cylinder tank next to boiler, which is a condenser.
That's not what is meant by a gravity system.

Gravity systems mean that the water in the boiler circulates by virtue of the hot water rising, and cooler water falling. There is no pump.
Typically only found on old systems, usually floor standing or back boiler with cast iron heat exchanger and larger diameter pipes between it and the hot water cylinder.
A variant includes a pump for radiators only, and that is what 'gravity mode' on programmers is designed for - when the boiler is on, water circulates to the hot water cylinder. If the pump is also on, the pump circulates the water to the radiators as well. It's impossible to have radiators only.

If you have a modern condensing boiler, it will be fully pumped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back