Self leveling on a parquet floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renovating my house and finding some interesting history :)

The parquet floor was laid with bitumen back in the day (mid-1960's).
Loose blocks have either been removed or cleaned and stuck back down.

As you can see from the photos, walls have been removed, parquet flooring cemented over in places and it's uneven in spots (2-3mm difference), hence I would like to apply self-leveling.

I'm planning to lay carpet back down on the floor.

If I clean and apply a primer coat on the parquet flooring, is it ok to go over with self-leveling compound? If so, any recommendations on what type you would use?

Thanks!

floor_2.jpg

floor_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Been doing a lot more research and it looks like the parquet flooring will need to come up.

The pain!

You can't lay SLC directly onto parquet - movement within the timber blocks is likely to break it up within a couple of years.

There are three (maybe more) possible approaches I can think.of:

1. Dig the bodged repair areas out, replace the missing parquet blocks with recycled ones, sand, fill and seal. This is hard work, but the end results can be excellent

2. Sheet over the parquet with hardwood plywood screwed down at 150mm centres, screed, then lay the new floor on top of that. This will raise the finished floor level 15 to 20mm. Technique sometimes used where the parquet floor may be getting re-instated at a future date (e.g. some listed buildings).

3. Rip out the parquet, clean up the mess and back fill. Parquet is generally quite thick, so it may be necessary to build up the floor using multiple layers of screed. If ripping out parquet bear in mind that the bitumen it is bedded onto is in effect a sort of DPC, so after it's all out it may be advisable to put in a liquid DPM before building back to the required sub floor level

Sponsored Links
Looks like finger parquet?
It's not as valuable as whole blocks, but still has a second hand value.

A quick look on eBay suggests £20-30 a square metre so don't pay to send it to waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back