Self Levelling Compound Barrier - Novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to level a concrete floor ready for laminate flooring. Previously tile and cement. Floor is 4.5mx3m.

Never done this before and unsure how to deal with creating a barrier for the compound. I've attached diagram below but basically 4 sides:

1x patio doors (currently gap of 8mm underneath frame where excess tile cement was)
2x walls with plasterboard (gap 20mm underneath)
1x carpet (where previous doors have been removed)

Should I let the compound run under the patio doors and plasterboard or is that crazy?
Should I be using expanding foam or something under patio doors / plasterboard and slice away excess afterwards?
I'm guessing I'd need a different solution for where the compound will meet the carpet?!

Easiest fool-proof solutions welcome!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5191.JPG
    IMG_5191.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5192.JPG
    IMG_5192.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5193.JPG
    IMG_5193.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
A good vac out 1st.
prime all the area.
Fill in the hatch will smoothing compound and granno chips 1st. Let that set a couple of days.
prime again
Then smoothing compound the whole area at 4-5mm.
5 bags smoothing compound and 1 granno should do it all.

let it flow out under the plaster board and doorframe.

make sure you buy a moisture tolerant smoothing compound. A bag and bottle.

ardex NA
Fball 1200
Bostik screedmaster ultimate
Mapei trade plan
Uzin gold

don’t use a water mix if you can help it.

Thanks for the reply.

Re: under doorframe, I’m concerned if there is a small hole in the concrete slab that I can’t see the compound will drip down into it.

I only say this as there is another small hole at the edge of the subfloor in the corner of the room - so Lord knows if there are any other smaller holes ...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back