self smoothing floor mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have to do this tomorrow as floor man failed to turn up today :evil: , ( so tired of waiting for people to turn up to work and they don't even call on a no show :( )

Anyway never done this before but he did say when he was here, that its not very bad

I've just been to get a bag of self smoothing from B&Q and im wire brushing it tonight and scrapping it to get any loose bits away.

Any tips of what to watch out for would be great.

Sponsored Links
Ok i've done archive reading and have the pva at a 4 or 5 to 1 mix, im confussed about how many pva coats as the bag seems to read as 2 at different mixes?

the other problem i may have is im only laying up to kitchen cupboard legs, is the mix going to try and level past them and keep moving, the man due to do the job was doing a latex mix maybe this wasn't a problem for him.

will it be one for me thou?

I dont see it needing to be a great thickness only a skim over if thats possible

floor levelling compound is not 'self' anything.

it needs mixing, applying and trowelling.

its viscosity is far too thick as to afford the user a perfectly flat surface.

Sponsored Links
Oddjob,

From a DIYers point of view this is one of the easier jobs to undertake. Presumably you are hoping to level a concrete floor to take tiles or wood or something similar.

As long as your floor is clean or dust and debris it really is just a case of mixing, pouring and trowelling. As Noseall says you don't get a perfectly level floor but it will infill holes, crevices etc.

I tried doing the same thing a few years back, made a right balls up of it, it's quite difficult to get level and get the edges to blend if you have a few dips in the floor.

I did try to do it all at once, what i should have done was take it in 1-2 meter strips and work your way through that way. Give your self a good few days to do this.

I just got the floor fitters to do it - £90 and took them hour and had a perfect finish!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back