Seller's responsibilities for dodgy central heating?

I advise mine to engage me to visit and check the heating installation BEFORE they sign the contract as I might be able to provide info which will justify them negotiating the price down by many times my small fee

Very interesting Tony. Let us say I am selling my house. Why should I allow you to enter my house to disect and quarter my central heating to give prospective buyer ammunition to knock down the price I hope to sell my house for?

Sponsored Links
Ignoring the fact that you are outwith my service area, if you did not allow a prospective purchasor to let me examine your heating system he would suspect you might have something to hide. I cannot disect it but only inspect and operate the user controls.

If he still wanted to buy the house then he would instigate this 5/7 day Scottish procedure and if it did identify problems he would be submitting a claim for remedial costs just as this OP wants to do.

Tony

3. The Central Heating System works, but there is a Gasket missing on the Flue Connection between the Fire and Back Boiler. The Boiler is in excess of 30 years of age and no Spares are available.

Tony surely a visual inspection here would not pick up above failing. I cannot imagine the outcome if the boiler were to be dismantled, failed seal found and then you have duty of care to ID the boiler. You would be doing this check for the buyer, who at this point steps back (if readjustment of selling price not agreed) and seller now has a boiler that you have condemned. If I were the seller, I would be quite miffed.

Must talk to my daughter and see what she makes of what you are advocating.

I can only do non invasive tests on a seller's boiler and of course that would often NOT identify missing internal parts.

But I could do a carbon monoxide test in the room and a spillage test on a firefront.

No problem with what to do if it fails or is otherwise unsafe. Just apply the standard industry unsafe situations procedure and then it off with the owners approval ( if given ).

Sponsored Links
In case of a boiler which, like this one, is so old the spares are not available anymore, an inspection is superfluous.
Whether or not the boiler works ( perfectly ) today irrelevant; the first thing that goes wrong will require replacement anyway. Anybody with half an ounce of common sense will understand that and his offer on the house will reflect this.
How much warrantee would you expect if you bought a Ford Granada? :rolleyes:

In case of a boiler which, like this one, is so old the spares are not available anymore, an inspection is superfluous.

How much warrantee would you expect if you bought a Ford Granada? :rolleyes:

Its situations like that which make my inspection extremely useful. hardly any purchasers have any idea which boilers are maintainable, efficient or not and their reliability. I can advise on all those aspects!

A Ford Granada would be a collectors car and anyone buying one in good condition would be very pleased to have found it and will understand that no warrantee is possible on such an old car.

96283979.jpg

£995

I can only do non invasive tests on a seller's boiler and of course that would often NOT identify missing internal parts.

Agreed. You start messing with seller's boiler without his say so, if I were the seller, I would by calling ths cops.

But I could do a carbon monoxide test in the room and a spillage test on a firefront.

Disagree with this statement. You are speculating. Have been to OF appliances that have worked perfectly despite termination shortfalls.

No problem with what to do if it fails or is otherwise unsafe. Just apply the standard industry unsafe situations procedure and then it off with the owners approval ( if given ).

So you are going to enter a private dwelling, uninvited just because the buyer wants you to check out the gas appliances, then based on assumptions and non invasive checks, you are going to start turning off/ disconnecting gas appliances. I think this kind of action would certainly appear in the papers.

Tony if this is what you can do, and the seller allows you entery to check out the appliances (just because the buyer wants to know beforehand) that the gas appliance (be it predating the Arc or a band A appliance) is in good health, then you must have gift of the gab

Ben, the discussion is now not about an ancient appliance that has some 2 and a bit components (that rarely fail) and has the build quality of a brick outhouse, but about being allowed into the house by the seller for the purpose of carry out checks that could possibly end up with his appliance being disconnected

If a seller wants to sell his property then he has to allow a prospective purchasor into the property to enable surveys to be done.

If I was selling I would far prefer to see somebody doing a survey than to risk an unknown and unseen person concocting problems within five days and then claiming unforseen amounts after the sale has gone through.

Nobody is going to buy that Ford Grenada if they are not allowed to drive or at least be driven around in it and to look under the bonnet.

If a seller wants to sell his property then he has to allow a prospective purchasor into the property to enable surveys to be done.

no. he/she doesn't. we have been through this.

If I was selling I would far prefer to see somebody doing a survey than to risk an unknown and unseen person concocting problems within five days and then claiming unforseen amounts after the sale has gone through.

what you would do is irrelevant. most, if not all sellers, no matter what they claim would far prefer to see what they can get away with within the 5 day period and pay later if they were "caught". it's fecking obvious.

Nobody is going to buy that Ford Grenada if they are not allowed to drive or at least be driven around in it and to look under the bonnet.

cars of any age and condition have been bought on far worse terms, don't generalise to support your already weak argument.

Scottish Gas came out on Friday. Boiler has been condemned, irrepairable and my gas supply has been cut off. Guy coming to give me a quote for a new one tomorrow. Thanks for everyone who has given CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on this. Will see how it goes, the solicitor has now got all the reports I've been given so we'll see how it goes

Bookmark this thread as "example of the let's-sue-who-you-can" culture. Who said we are so different from the yanks? :rolleyes:

Yeah heaven forbid that someone would spend tens of thousands of pounds and expect not to be killed when they turn the heating on.

The girl has been sold a house with what is meant to be safe working central heating .It isnt so what has she done wrong by following what the law in gods own country says she should do

Yeah heaven forbid that someone would spend tens of thousands of pounds and expect not to be killed when they turn the heating on.
The girl has been sold a house with what is meant to be safe working central heating .It isnt so what has she done wrong by following what the law in gods own country says she should do

The problem is not wether the heating is faulty, that is without question. But the OP doesn't seem to haver a problem with her RGI leaving a defective boiler working, and, with respect, none of us are lawyers. So this is a legal query and, as far as I have read, there has been no clear evidence that the 5 day rule applies in this case, or , in fact, exactly what the 5 day rule is, or exactly covers!

So much of Agiles mutterings are nonsense, but he does have a point. If I suspected a wall was defective, I would ask the vendor to allow me to have it inspected (surveyed). If no permision was forthcoming, I would walk away. The same applies with heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back