Seller's responsibilities for dodgy central heating?

i have to admit my only concern about the whole deal is whether BG was round within the 5 days to satisfy the opposing solicitor. my understanding is it has to be reported within the 5 days, not necessarily acted upon.

Sponsored Links
Ben, let us say you pay arm, leg and an eye for purchase of house that you like. Having moved your worldly possessions to your newly purchased property, you find the heating system fails to work or you have reason to suspect it has not been serviced for a long time. Age of the appliance is not important as when funds allow, you will be replacing it....
When the vendor refuses an inspection on a thirty year old boiler, anybody with half a brain should smell the coffee.
If the buyer is completely ignorant, and just swallows the lie that all works fine, that would be a different story. That is why I asked the ( hypothetical ) question: would you buy a Granada if the vendor refused an inspection? Of course you wouldn't.

Ben, let us say you pay arm, leg and an eye for purchase of house that you like. Having moved your worldly possessions to your newly purchased property, you find the heating system fails to work or you have reason to suspect it has not been serviced for a long time. Age of the appliance is not important as when funds allow, you will be replacing it....
When the vendor refuses an inspection on a thirty year old boiler, anybody with half a brain should smell the coffee.
If the buyer is completely ignorant, and just swallows the lie that all works fine, that would be a different story. That is why I asked the ( hypothetical ) question: would you buy a Granada if the vendor refused an inspection? Of course you wouldn't.

why do we keep going back to dodgy granadas? granadas are for sale on ebay now and many will be sold unseen. i have bought many cars unseen.

the house has had a survey done independantly of you and we all know most surveys are worth nothing other than it's value and even that is way out most times.

yes the heating is old and most would be suspicious, but is it reasonable to expect it to be sold as safely working to a reasonable standard if the seller has not indicated that it isn't and a clause built into the missives allowing for recompense if it is not? i think so. clearly plenty of scots for whom the same case applies, think so too.

bit of a cheap shot that and not at all appreciated danny. at least he can write clearly if not properly.

Point taken. I will do a bit of navel gazing

Sponsored Links
How is a generic rope seal going to be different from one that has maker's name on the packaging. I assume you only use makers parts when you replace PRVs, pumps, Honeywell thermocouple (instead of generic) and gas valves.

I dont have a testing house for seals so cannot identify differences.

Manufacturers always require us to fit their GENUINE approved parts.

Gas regulations say we can only fit manufacturer's approved parts.

QED We cannot fit generic parts because they are not approved by the manufacturer. Anyone who does so is taking a risk.

i have to admit my only concern about the whole deal is whether BG was round within the 5 days to satisfy the opposing solicitor. my understanding is it has to be reported within the 5 days, not necessarily acted upon.

I had my plumber (pirie and hunter) round within 3 days of getting the keys (would have been earlier but it was the weekend!)

They emailed me a report stating the problems with the leaking CO etc etc but after several requests for a paper copy I gave up and contacted BG, who then came round, said the same thing as Pirie and Hunter and this time condemned the boiler and provided a written report (as pictured)

I'm not sure how they'll view the fact I had 2 plumbers out a week apart but the fact they've both said the exact same thing will hopefully mean there's no issue...

Technically it should be reported to the seller/solicitor within the time period ( probably working days too. )

But I dont that will invalidate your claim although it would have been better to put them on notice as soon as you realised there was a problem.

If your solicitor is intransigent then you may need to get another on board who deals with litigation. Yours may just do conveyancing.

Tony

Fingers crossed. I contacted the solicitor on the day the plumber was out (day 3) and so the process was set in motion on time I think. It's just the slowness of the plumber to send me out any written reports that was bothering me. Hopefully all will get going once i get this estimate sent to me

Fingers crossed. I contacted the solicitor on the day the plumber was out (day 3) and so the process was set in motion on time I think.

Dont count on that! Most solicitors if they did not agree with the action would NOT advise the other party!

Even if he did not then its still unlikely to be a problem because the sellers solicitor is unlikely to make it a sticking point because they are all mates really and play at the same golf club!

If there was a probem then your solicitor has NOT dealt with that matter in your own best interest and you could make a complaint or take them to court and would have a good chance of winning.

Tony

Dont count on that! Most solicitors if they did not agree with the action would NOT advise the other party!

Even if he did not then its still unlikely to be a problem because the sellers solicitor is unlikely to make it a sticking point because they are all mates really and play at the same golf club!

what complete and utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

Agile must know how lawyers and solicitors work as he threatened me with legal action a couple of times for mentioning his illegal working methods a couple of years ago but low and behold i have never heard a dickie bird could that be because he never had a leg to stand on .

Go on Agile amuse me and tell me i am wrong .

I dont have a testing house for seals so cannot identify differences.

Manufacturers always require us to fit their GENUINE approved parts.

Gas regulations say we can only fit manufacturer's approved parts.

QED We cannot fit generic parts because they are not approved by the manufacturer. Anyone who does so is taking a risk.

What utter crap

please refer us to the gas reg which states we must only use manufacturer approved parts.

You will be hunting forever.

As long as the material is fit for the purpose intended then there is no risk.

The only risk is if you are incompetent at what you are doing and fit something that isn't fit for purpose.

I do not think there is a gas reg as such ?? but there have been several warnings from corgi a while back through the gas installer about useing non genuine parts , although the wording safety critical may have been used ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back