Selling homemade lamps with pre made light unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I decorate bottles and have made myself some lamps with them using a brought pre made kit for this purpose. I would like to sell them at craft fairs. I really have 2 questions.
1. Can i sell the pre made unit on.
2. Do i have to have the base tested in any way if suggesting it can be made into a lamp base.

Can i sell it as a unit with the kit and lampshade or am i best just selling the decorated bottle.

Someone said if i say it can be used as a lampbase i may be liable if a problem. I know if i wired it myself i would have to have it tested but where do i stand with putting a premade unit in that already conforms to requirements.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure. Do the ready-assembled electrics have a three pin plug fitted?

As the bottles are glass, (and therefore, non-conductive), and the kits are pre-made by an independent manufacturer, I would think there is very little testing you could do. One possibility may be to take one to your local trading standards and ask them for their opinion/assessment.
Give them a call and ask if they would be willing to have a look, as you don't want to put something out in the market that may need to be certified first.

Sponsored Links
I can't see an issue with that.

I might be tempted to leave the electrical part unopened in its original packaging, then all you are doing is reselling the item. If it is sealed in its original packaging, it obviously hasn't been altered and the manufacturer will have done all the tests and QC checks required.

There's a gov doc here
which addresses goods for commercial use, which I'd have thought to be a higher standard. They use some handy words:
"as far as is reasonable practical":
What you must do?
If you supply, whether for payment or not, second-hand equipment for use at work you must take steps to ensure it will be safe and without risks to health at all times when being set, used, cleaned or maintained by a person at work, as far as is reasonably practicable (section 6 of the HSW Act). In addition you must also provide adequate information about using the equipment, normally this will be a copy of the original equipment's instructions in English. This duty applies to importers, distributors and suppliers of equipment for use at work, including one-off sales by users and anyone refurbishing equipment for use at work.

If the packaging allows it I'd include the leccy bit "unused" so the test it complied with - BSEN/IEC60598 (5051) [Energy Class A] or whatever, should still apply as long as it looks ok. Make that clear to the buyer.

I'd be concerned about the bottle toppling over. Maybe find someone who can make a wooden base thing, if not you. It could be turned from a flat bit o wood, or made from 2 bits crossed. Glue/paint it?

Back