Making and selling lamps (seller responsibilities)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am toying with the idea of making some table lamps etc using some recycled pipework and selling them at craft fayres and ebay etc.

I have made some prototypes using ce certified bulb holders, cable, & plugs etc. I am thinking of using low wattage bulbs like 40w.

Just a quick question, where do I stand with regards to the law and selling elictraical goods to the puplic. What safety measures/tests do I need to do (if any) or would i be ok if using low wattage bulbs and using ce certified parts, would I be able to sell with a plug fitted or not fitted? I have had a look at the govenment website and it seems to be very unclear.

It seems to be a bit of a minefield, so if anyone can offer some advice it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Gavin.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys, I did come across that document earlier in my research, I was hoping for someone to summarise into laymans terms as it seems quite complicated.

All I need to know is...Can i manufacture a steel structure, put certified double insulated cable inside it, put switch, plug, lamp holder and lamp and sell it? and if so what do i need to do paperwork wise to protect myself against any comebacks.

securespark, good idea, trouble is, cable needs to be threaded through the structure so not exactly a DIY job......

I know that galleries who sell "one off" type of work are generally unwilling to sell mains powered lighting because of possible problems with safety. Reading that website you can see why. I think that to cover yourself in case of problems, you would need a proper written report on the equipment by someone qualified to do so before it could be certified. This would be for every different type made.
I'm a time served electrician, so I (hopefully) know how to make equipment safe, but even so, if I was making such items to sell to the public I'd want them "signed off" by someone with professional qualifications that would stand up if there was a problem.

What safety measures/tests do I need to do (if any) or would i be ok if using low wattage bulbs and using ce certified parts.
How on earth can the wattage of the bulbs make a difference to safety measures & testing?

I have had a look at the govenment website and it seems to be very unclear.
Then you need a lawyer.

Thanks Guys, I did come across that document earlier in my research, I was hoping for someone to summarise into laymans terms as it seems quite complicated.
That is a big problem, because that document already is a summary of the legislation and has already been simplified.

All I need to know is...Can i manufacture a steel structure, put certified double insulated cable inside it, put switch, plug, lamp holder and lamp and sell it? and if so what do i need to do paperwork wise to protect myself against any comebacks.
No.

Assembled items must be tested, there must be written specifications, records kept of all the component parts used, where they came from and documents to show they comply with the required regulations, each product must have a Declaration of Conformity, and so on. Most of which is listed in the linked document.

You also need product liability insurance, the cost of which will vary massively depending on which countries/regions you intend to supply the product to.

What safety measures/tests do I need to do (if any) or would i be ok if using low wattage bulbs and using ce certified parts.
How on earth can the wattage of the bulbs make a difference to safety measures & testing?

A too high wattage with the wrong shade can burn or set fire to the shade, most fittings prior to the modern lamps had 40watt max labels stuck on the lampholder

Further to my previous comment, it appears from reading that government site that there are "notified bodies" who are assessed as being competent to test electrical equipment, and would therefore be the people to use for testing. That would be essential.
As flameport says, you also have to produce full documentation and drawings of the equipment. As well as complete records of what was used, the source and so on.
And again as said you would need public liability insurance, which would (again) require the right testing and documentation to be in place.
Further to other comments I would assume that part of the testing would be to check that any parts of the equipment, like the shade, were capable of withstanding any temperatures produced with the rated type of bulb. You'd also have to show that these parts were actually deliberately designed taking all parameters into account, and not just put there because they fitted.
Really it's not a practical thing to do for small scale production I wouldn't think. You'd need technical skills,both practical and academic as well as the costs involved.
Personally if I were the OP, I'd forget the idea.

would like to see a picture of one though.
The industrial look is all the rage at the moment, maybe you could sell on your desighn

would like to see a picture of one though.
The industrial look is all the rage at the moment, maybe you could sell on your desighn
And then you are into registering the design. More expense. Sorry to be negative, but none of this stuff is simple.

Hello,

I am toying with the idea of making some table lamps etc using some recycled pipework and selling them at craft fayres and ebay etc.

I have made some prototypes using ce certified bulb holders, cable, & plugs etc. I am thinking of using low wattage bulbs like 40w.

Just a quick question, where do I stand with regards to the law and selling elictraical goods to the puplic. What safety measures/tests do I need to do (if any) or would i be ok if using low wattage bulbs and using ce certified parts, would I be able to sell with a plug fitted or not fitted? I have had a look at the govenment website and it seems to be very unclear.

It seems to be a bit of a minefield, so if anyone can offer some advice it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Gavin.

Hi, get yourself on to a PAT testing course when you pass the exam 2 days max …..sorted :LOL:

Hello,

Many Thanks,

Gavin.

Hi, get yourself on to a PAT testing course when you pass the exam 2 days max …..sorted :LOL:

Is it as easy as doing a PAT testing course? can anyone else confirm?

Also another thought... could I sell "un assembled? leaving the assembley/wiring to the customer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back