Making and selling lamps (seller responsibilities)

Is it as easy as doing a PAT testing course?
No.

Also another thought... could I sell "un assembled? leaving the assembley/wiring to the customer?
That's going to depend on what you supply - if it's a complete kit I imagine you'll still have liability for how the item performs when assembled as per instructions.

If you sell it with no electrical parts will people be interested?

Sponsored Links
If there is never any injuries caused by your products then what ever the law says you are unlikely to end up in court. If however there is a fault then even if you follow all the government guide lines you will still end up in court.

Since you are unlikely to have enough backing to settle any claims for death caused by your product you will need insurance. In the main it is the insurance who will require the t's crossed and i dotted and failing to follow government guide lines could make the insurance invalid.

So I would ask your insurer what they required.

As to PAT testing with Class I equipment then yes you could test but with Class II then you can't stick on a Class II sticker so it auto fails as no sticker.

Selling small quantity as second hand you may get away with it. Nearly every boot sale has some one with a table lamp which was made from a nice looking bottle and we expect items at a boot sale to be second hand and untested. Using internet is more of a problem.

I would enquire about what insurance companies require and take it from there. Clearly you don't want to become bankrupt due to an error in one of the items so insurance is a must.

If there is never any injuries caused by your products then what ever the law says you are unlikely to end up in court. If however there is a fault then even if you follow all the government guide lines you will still end up in court.

Since you are unlikely to have enough backing to settle any claims for death caused by your product you will need insurance. In the main it is the insurance who will require the t's crossed and i dotted and failing to follow government guide lines could make the insurance invalid.

So I would ask your insurer what they required.

As to PAT testing with Class I equipment then yes you could test but with Class II then you can't stick on a Class II sticker so it auto fails as no sticker.

Selling small quantity as second hand you may get away with it. Nearly every boot sale has some one with a table lamp which was made from a nice looking bottle and we expect items at a boot sale to be second hand and untested. Using internet is more of a problem.

I would enquire about what insurance companies require and take it from there. Clearly you don't want to become bankrupt due to an error in one of the items so insurance is a must.
Thanks Ericmark, that is very helpful, very much appreciated.

Let's admit it, if PAT testing was the answer then that page would say something like "Each piece of portable equipment must be PAT tested before sale" and not go into all the other details.
If something went wrong, and you ended up in court, then apart from any rules there might be requiring it, you are going to need as much independently produced documentation as possible to prove that the equipment was safe when sold.

Sponsored Links

PAT Testing it as a Class I appliance won't confirm that it has been properly constructed though, will it? And indeed it will fail the PAT test for not being CE marked if it is being conducted properly!

Is it as easy as doing a PAT testing course? can anyone else confirm?
No, as the tests for newly manufactured equipment are different to those for in-service testing, and devices sold as 'PAT Testers' will not be able to do the tests required.

In any case, all of the other requirements still apply - including when you sell a kit of parts intended to be assembled into a finished product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back