Selling on Gumtree, am I just paranoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hate selling things on Gumtree, but sometimes I have no choice depending on what it is - I won’t sell anything on eBay if it can’t be posted (or if it’s valuable enough that someone will just claim it never arrived and scam their money back through eBay’s flawed resolution system).

The past couple of times I’ve listed things for sale on Gumtree, within literal minutes of the ad going live I’ve had a message from someone asking “Is this still available?”, and then, when I confirm that it is, they come back with “I’m ready to buy but I have questions/It’s for a friend etc” and then asking me to message them through WhatsApp or email details to a specific email address. When this happens I usually block them as it sounds suspicious.

Am I just being paranoid?

Sponsored Links
No you’re not,scammers constantly asking details Market place is the worst’s
I have no idea what Market Place is like as I walked away from Facebook many years ago and never went back, however I’m sure it’s pretty bad.

Sponsored Links
That’s what I’ve started doing for eBay sales.
Yeah much better. When meeting up make sure you bring someone with you and you it's important to check if the money is real.

One of my mates got his new iPhone grabbed off his hand while showing the phone to the scammer.

Cash in hand is good if you’re a buyer but not many sellers give that option.

I have no idea what Market Place is like as I walked away from Facebook many years ago and never went back, however I’m sure it’s pretty bad.
How would you know then? You get good and bad buyers and sellers, like any outlet, I've never been scammed as a buyer or seller, just need to be careful is all.

Sponsored Links
Back