Semi-chased cables in kitchen - is this allowed?

I'm inclined to agree- anyone who tries aiming a drill or nail for that tiny gap between the two safe zones probably deserves to hit a cable
My objection to it has nothing to do with safe zones - that's a different issue. It is simply that cables coming out of a ragged hole in the plaster and then wandering off to appliances and accessories is just plain nasty.
I agree (although I also agree that it's very common, even in my limited experience). Maybe it wasn't clear enough, but my "I'm inclined to agree" response to "Let it ride" was meant to be specifically related to the safe zone issue - which, although wrong, seemed/seems to me to be too trivial to worry about, for the reason I gave.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Given what experienced electricians see (and there are quite a few commentators on here who are not) the triviality of some of the nit picking that goes on here makes me laugh out loud. Every day you will come across issues that are not or cannot be put in line with the regs. So, whilst an interesting, constructive acedemic discussion will hold me rapt, as will comments from practising electricians - the continuing snide, sarcastic comments from the non electrician on here, however knowledgeable, conjurs up the deepest disgust in me for I know that these comments and the manner of these comments are made made by a sniveller who wouldn't dare to speak in such a tone face to face and who hides behind their computer screen. They know who they are.

Regards

I was going to ask the same question. In my kitchen they only chased in and plastered over the above counter sockets. Most of the other cables are just clipped to the walls, except the area near the stove where its been covered in trunking. Seems the consensus is that it's acceptable and the norm?

How about neatly filling round the cable?
Can't be done.

If you have to come out of the wall to surface trunking or conduit, do it via a surface mounted box.

Do you mean you couldn't clip a cable to the wall horizontally in the void between the floor and the bottom of the base unit?
I mean I wouldn't - I'd use trunking and/or conduit.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I did that way in my kitchen. Surface clipped cables are absolutely fine and normal, if they are not in a location prone to damage. I think behind a permanently fixed kitchen unit is quite safe from damage!

None of that has any relevance whatsoever.

They are still clipped to the surface, and no doubt still just come out of a hole on the wall.

What's wrong with clipped cables behind or under kitchen base units?

What's wrong with cables emerging through a hole in the wall behind or under kitchen base units?

What's wrong with clipped cables behind or under kitchen base units?
Nothing, as far as I am concerned - but who am I to know?!
What's wrong with cables emerging through a hole in the wall behind or under kitchen base units?
Again, nothing to my mind, provided that they are clipped to the wall (which would prevent any damage due to movement rubbing the cable against that 'ragged hole in the plaster'. I do agree with BAS that coming out of the 'ragged hole' and then not being supported/restrained (which is what we've been looking at) is not a good idea, because of that 'rubbing' risk.

Kind Regards, ohn

I'm interested in this thread as my house has just been, well, still is, rewired and this is similar to how the spark has left my kitchen.

I'll add a picture when I can, but the above worktop sockets, also underneath for built-in appliances, and associated switches are plastered in boxes, but the 'tail' for the washing machine on an adjacent wall was left loose and is now just emerging from a plastered wall below worktop height.

I thought it strange and asked him about clipping it around the two walls before I plastered, but he said just to leave it hanging and he'll route to the washer, behind the floor units, when he comes back next week during my kitchen installation.

I thought it sounded fishy, lazy, but assumed he was right and reading this thread reinforces the practice. What do I know? :oops: ;)

It's ugly and nasty and lazy.

In your opinion. Yes the ideal (with a blank wall to start from) would be all buried. Once the units are in place it is no longer ugly. It would also depend on to what extent the customer wanted their walls hacked about and what amount of labour they were willing to pay for surely ?

In your opinion.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Once the units are in place it is no longer ugly.
Of course it is.

It would also depend on to what extent the customer wanted their walls hacked about and what amount of labour they were willing to pay for surely ?
None of those have any bearing on whether it's ugly and nasty.

TARD

I take it therefore that you are dressed in trunking or conduit.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back