Semi-chased cables in kitchen - is this allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

we're having an extension put in, and the kitchen has been ripped out and a new put in. All work done by the builders, and their electrician and plumber (we're only doing the painting!).

The kitchen worktop is coming on Wednesday (separate supplier) and I've only just noticed what I was assuming was temporary cabling behind the washing machine, where part of the worktop is going to go.

My question re the first two pics is whether this is normal / good practise / compliant? Should the cables be completely chased or is it ok to only have them partially chased?

I do have a final concern, which you can see in this pic, which is whether the worktop is going to foul the cable (you can see that the worktop is going to span from the left hand spar to replace the bit of temporary chipboard on the right);

I should stress that I've sent the pics of to the builders tonight and asked them whether this needs to be addressed before Wednesday. So I have no doubt they will do whatever is necessary - I just would prefer to be forearmed with some info if they come back with "Nah - it's fine."

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Should be fully chased and covered by a protective metal cover (top hat)

That's not even up to bodger standard of workmanship

The plumbing doesn't look any better either

This is a normal way to install cables in a kitchen renovation.

This saves chasing out too much of the wall, and also prevents the possibility of concealed cables out of 'safe zones' getting drilled through.

Would have liked to have seen the cables clipped down the wall though, esp where appliances are.

If the cables are likely to get fouled by the worktop, then they must be notched into the plaster before the worktop is fitted.

I suppose technically, those chased in cables BETWEEN the two doubles sockets don't actually comply...

Sponsored Links
A few clips wouldn't have gone a miss, but nothing wrong with it as an installation method.

Thanks folks.

So that's 3 for (but could be neater) and one against?

BTW, re the plumbing - that is definitely temporary. New W/M gets plumbed in after the worktop goes in.

S'now or never to get the builders' electrician to sort it. Serious enough to demand a change if they're not keen, or let it ride?

We still have the building inspection to come but I guess they're not going to see any of this.

Any more pics of other areas in the kitchen?

Where is the socket for that washing machine going?

Any more pics of other areas in the kitchen?

Where is the socket for that washing machine going?

Having been painting all night I have minimal desire to go back in to the (dark) kitchen and taking more pictures tonight :LOL:

However, the socket for the washing machine is in the unit under the kitchen sink. Cable trails along the floor (untacked) under the other kitchen units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back