Semi-detached or Link

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are interested in a new house and need some advice. It is a semi but with a 1st floor extension link above the shared drive which was agreed with both householders over 40 years ago. This extension is used as showers for both homes. The agent is calling it a linked semi-detached house.

We need some advice before purchasing and would greatly appreciate any knowledge of this type of extension.

Does this devalue the house as a semi and future sale.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
How can it "devalue" it when it's already on the market for an asking price?

The label the agent gives doesn't devalue the house, but the fact that it's a link semi detached might put some buyers off, I believe its called a flying freehold (?).

Blup

The value of the place is what someone is prepared to pay for it- asking price means nowt. Downsides- possible noise pollution from neighbours on both sides, forget parking a tall van or caravan in the back garden (some might see that as an upside to be fair), possible hassles if the driveway is shared access.

You'd be buying a terraced house with a wide ginnel (very common in industrial towns) so if that's what you want then go for your life. If the asking is a bit rich then put in what you think its worth and take it from there

Sponsored Links
It is a semi detached house.
Ignore the estate agent.
We have a "detached house" for sale near me last year - it was actually a terrace, as all houses had extended into and above car ports. But they deluded fools still called it a detached house.
I must have looked at 5-6 houses last year that claimed to be detached, but were semis.

The main advantage of a detached is no noise. You cannot know if in the future the neighbour will have teenage kids doing band practice, or having raves, or just playing COD at full volume, next door.

So, if being "detached" was the reason you looked, tell the agent to stop wasting your time and only show houses that are detached, as in, not attached.

My last house was a "link detached" house. Same as you describe, rooms above the car port. But built new in 2002. But, when you get those property deeds, it won't say detached!

Look at this detached house.
And another one - which magically turned from a terrace to a detached house ...
and this one, on the same estate, went from being detached, to terraced!
this one has bravely remained detached, although, it is still connected (attached) to the house next door ....

Look at the sold prices on Rightmove for the homes in your area. Look at how many similar homes are currently on the market (i.e. semi-detached) and see how the price of this one compares to the others on the market, and see how these all compare to what they have been selling for. Then pitch a price that corresponds for semi detached houses at the moment.

Don't pay "detached" prices just because you fall in love with how it looks on the inside.

Only a fool buys a property based on the headline on a sales brochure. That's what it comes down to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back