Sentinel v Magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice on ease of cleaning Magnaclean. Fitting a Sentinel system filter has been suggested. Any views on which is superior?

Sponsored Links
Dual purpose but more expensive and you should not have too much non metalic debris after flushing.

Never seen one in use tho.

This is an interesting point.

Magnetic cleaners only remove magnetic particles, and whilst this looks very impressive, many of the particles individually are probably insignificantly small. And all the non magnetic stuff still passes through.

The Sentinel unit is based on technology patented around 30 years ago by Spirovent. The patents have now run out and other manufacturers are bringing out similar products.

It slows the water down using a series of metal gauzes to create an almost zero mementum water area; inside this particles drop to the bottom in a small sump.

Spirovent dirt and air also uses this system to effectively remove air from the system.

With a magnaclean you have to drain out a cartridge each time and introduce a significant portion of new water each time. This will dilute the chemical treatment.

With a Spirovent dirt and air you lose a much smaller amount of water each time you open it, and there is no chemical treatment required because the microbubble deaerator removes so much air, corrosion is stopped.

I imagine Sentinel did not copy the deaerator part because their core business is water treatment chemicals. :LOL:

With a magnaclean you have to drain out a cartridge each time
No you don't :eek:

perhaps yours is fitted upside down?

You just unscrew the cap and lift it out, with the attached magnet, which dips into the water in the canister. No need to empty water out.

View media item 3408

Sponsored Links
I have a Spirovent, which has just been fitted on my new boiler.

However the system was already clean, and has just been powerflushed, so I expect it will be a while before I see anything in it.

View media item 3406

His philosophy of life will steer him through
And as far as he can see
He's the same as you and me
There's nothing in the world he cannot do

No hill too high, no desert too dry
No road too long, no tide too strong
No bridge too far, he's got a car
No slope to steep, no thought too deep
No star too bright, no squeeze too tight
No tale too tall, no cat too cool
No bass too low, he'll give it a go
No end to his talents, no sense of balance

Try these ZEPARO ZUM22 DIRT SEPARATOR MAGNET, spirovent and magnaclean all in one and nearly the same price as one.

it has a brass nozzle on the outlet under the drain tap, probably so you can squirt it into a jar or bucket but the nozzle unscrews and the bottom of the bowl has what looks like the sort of thread you get on a garden tap.

however once you have squirted out the contents of the collecting bowl, I see no point on attaching a hose and squirting out gallons more water, which would just be circulating primary water.

the labyrinth can might hold about half a pint. The sediment is supposed to fall through the labyrinth into the bottom of the bowl at the bottom of this can.

If you did use a hose I think you would want a transparent one so you could shut it off as soon as it ran clean.

Anyone used this:

http://www.pulsardirect.co.uk/plumb...185&ProductCatId=1000194&ProductCode=260-1100

prod-images%5Clarge%5C260-1100.jpg

[/img]

I've used one recently. Actually prefer it to the magnaclean because you can see what's in it however the valves are rubbish and you have to buy adaptors .

I got mine from Abcot for about £60 when I bought a powerflushing machine.

I've used one recently. Actually prefer it to the magnaclean because you can see what's in it however the valves are rubbish and you have to buy adaptors .

I got mine from Abcot for about £60 when I bought a powerflushing machine.

The valves do look naff - £60 too. They have a cheek. So two full bore valve have to be bought as well.

Wasn't aware that the drainoff could be used to introduce inhibitor though. Abcot's instructions were worse than useless.

I would buy one again if the price was a bit cheaper and the valves better. Last magnaclean I bought cost £85+Vat but the valves are much better I have to say and they are compression fittings.

See Adey has just picked up a big contract from BG to supply them with Magnaclean pros 22&28MM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back