Sentinel X400 Shelf life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just come across 2 cans of X400, which I must have had for three or four years, if not longer. They have the Betz Dearborn logo on them.

Does any one know if this product has a shelf life or will it still be OK to use?

Secondly, does X400 still work if it is circulated round a cold system or does it need the water to be hot to work?

Sponsored Links
It should be fine if the can was sealed as new.

It works better when warm like all chemical reactions.

X400 really does need four weeks to have the maximum effect. Ignore what it says about time scales on the can, they are just not realistic.

These manufacturers immagine people buy their products when there system is working well. They dont realise just how bad they can get in real life!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sentinel themselves state that X400 have broken down and will no longer work when in a system after 4 weeks.

Sentinel themselves state that X400 have broken down and will no longer work when in a system after 4 weeks.

Their web site actually says:

Where systems are badly fouled, a longer period of circulation (e.g., up to 4 weeks) is recommended, but the product will not clear a completely blocked pipe. There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system.

Where systems are badly fouled, a longer period of circulation (e.g., up to 4 weeks) is recommended, but the product will not clear a completely blocked pipe. There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system.

Yes it can be left in indefinatley, but they state that after 4 weeks it will have broken down chemically and not work any longer.

IMO this is relevant if you have a Magnaclean, you can tip in X400 and run the system as usual, the X400 will loosen black until it loses its power, the Magnaclean will trap it ready for your periodic removal. Even if you don't drain, the syst will be in a better state after you've done that, than it was before, and the exhausted X400 will do no harm, and the effort is relatively slight.

Before anyone says otherwise, I have no objection to giving a syst a clean, drain, flush and rinse

Yes it can be left in indefinitely, but they state that after 4 weeks it will have broken down chemically and not work any longer.

Are you quoting what is said on the canister, or can you point me to where it is said on their web-site? I've hunted everywhere and the only reference I can find to 4 weeks is as given above.

What they are likely to say is that after about four weeks the system should be drained and then refilled with X100 inhibitor added!

Tony

The 4 weeks is what is told by their sales team. The first time I was informed of it was at installer live last year, by all those on the stand.

That same sales team also say that X400 needs to be in the system for a week or two.

Anyone who regularly uses it knows that it needs at least 3-4 weeks.

Amusingly, I "corrected" them when I heard them saying that and someone behind added "too right".

Be aware those sales people are not chemists and have no experience of using their products. They are just sales people with no technical expertise.

Tony

The 4 weeks is what is told by their sales team.
That tells me all I need to know ;) I think I will stick to what I read in their technical literature :!:

Incidentally, I am still awaiting a reply to the email I sent them.

I have not done any scientific study, but when I used one on a dirty old system, having previously fitted a Magnaclean, it loosened a lot of black when it first went it, and more black kept coming out for at least a couple of months later in reducing amounts (the Magnaclean had stopped capturing new black before I put in the X400)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back