Separate lives and neutrals through conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just wired up my new workshop. The lighting circuit is standard grey 1.5 T&E. It is run through PVC box trunking conduit. I was telling a freind how difficult was getting the cable throught he conduit around the corners. He said that because it was going through conduit, I could have used separate reb and blue (live and neutrals) and would have found that much easier to run the cabling.

Is this true, can I just run the separate insulated wires through the conduit or does it have to be the double sheather grey cable with the red and blue (and earth) insulated wire on the inside.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, conduit is designed for singles, but they should both always follow exactly the same route in the conduit, so no eddy currents are created.

I assume you meant brown and blue above?

Singles must also *stay* in conduit for their full length. They can't emerge just because it's convenient

Singles must also *stay* in conduit for their full length. They can't emerge just because it's convenient

Just to make that clear, if the conduit starts or comes to an end, before the switch back box, light fitting or etc. then you would need to have used T&E, rather than singles. All conduit ends would need to be properly attached and bushed.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks all. Good points made and understood.

The single wires have to terminate correct in their boxes.

Well it would be rather more difficult as singles stripped out from T&E are solid core while singles made for use in conduit are multicore so are more flexible to allow them to be pulled into conduit and round bends.

what would be the ill-effects if you did?

One of John's - Most likely nothing at all, except the cable will be exposed to potential mechanical damage and will lack the mechanical protection of the usually grey outer layer of T&E. It is simply not designed for use in any part of an installation, where it would not be entirely protected along it's full length by the likes of conduit, or trunking etc..

One of John's ...
.... is that a reference to me?
.... Most likely nothing at all, except the cable will be exposed to potential mechanical damage and will lack the mechanical protection of the usually grey outer layer of T&E.
The same would be essentially true of purpose-made 'proper singles', give or take the fact that mechanical damage during pull-in might be slightly more likely with (less-flexible and less 'shiny') solid core (single insulated) conductors.
It is simply not designed for use in any part of an installation, where it would not be entirely protected along it's full length by the likes of conduit, or trunking etc..
If I understand correctly, I think we are talking about a situation in which it would be "entirely protected along it's full length by the likes of conduit, or trunking etc." - the only discussion being as to whether (solid, insulated) conductors removed from T+E would be as acceptable as would be purpose-made (flexible) singles.

Merry Christmas to everyone reading this. In case some wonder why I am posting messages in the middle of Christmas Day, it's because we are essentially having a 'quiet day', having been forced to re-define Christmas Day as being next Tuesday, thanks to (Covid-related) isolation on the part of one of my daughters!!

I hope that most of you are managing to have a very enjoyable (maybe almost 'normal') Christmas Day, and one that has been less disrupted than mine!!

Kind Regards, John

Merry Christmas to everyone reading this. In case some wonder why I am posting messages in the middle of Christmas Day, it's because we are essentially having a 'quiet day', having been forced to re-define Christmas Day as being next Tuesday, thanks to (Covid-related) isolation on the part of one of my daughters!!

I hope that most of you are managing to have a very enjoyable (maybe almost 'normal') Christmas Day, and one that has been less disrupted than mine!!

Kind Regards, John

No matter what electrical differences people might have I wish you and your family all the best and hope that when your Christmas Day comes it is a really good day. Take care of your daughter and be happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back