separate switches for 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have 2 lights in a room, switched by a single switch. I would like to be able to switch the lights independently of one another.

I have unscrewed the light switch, and there appears to be 3 x twin and earth cables entering the box (presumably one for each of the existing lights, and one for the mains feed?). The 3 blue neutral cables are all bound together in a piece of terminal block. The earths are all attached the the dry wall box, and the 3 brown live wires go into the switch module (2 at the top, one at the bottom)

Is anyone able to advise how I rewire this please? I have bought a 2 gang switch to replace the existing, but i'm not sure how this now relates to the 3 separate cables I have entering the box

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Good choice with MK.

Not the clearest photo of your existing switch, but if you have one wire in COM and two in L1 then:

Leave the Neutrals in the connector block.

Put the wire from COM into COM on the new switch
Then one wire into each L1
You will also need a short piece of wire to join the two COM's together as this will supply the live to the second light.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - yes - that was a rubbish piccy. I wonder if this one helps?

Looks like there's 2 wires into '2W', which i guess is equivalent to 'L2'?

Does this make it any easier to determine the setup?

Plugwash - I see your point. If that's the case, presumably I'm scuppered without running a new cable?

Thanks very much for your help, both. Much appreciated.

Knowing how many wires and cables are present in each of the light fittings, and how are they connected at the moment would help make things clearer.

If there's just one cable at each fitting, connected to L, N (&E) of the fitting, the change could be easy.

If there's two cables at one fitting and just one at t'other you could be snookered

Take one of the wires out of the 2W terminal and see if one of the wall lights stops working. that will be an INDICATION that the two brown wires MIGHT be the connections to the two lights.

If so, you're in luck!

Tickly - Checked the pendant light - there's 2 cables coming into it. One must therefore go over to the other light. I guess this means we've reached the end of the line with the project!? (i.e. they don't have independent cables...)

There's no chance of me running another cable as the cables are in a loft conversion so I can't get into the void above.

Thanks for your help guys, I really do appreciate it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back