Series to Ringmain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I seem to have a number of sockets in my garage that all come off of the main garage socket. One leads to the next.

I have been advised that it would be safer (less risk of overload) if I converted this into a ring main. Is this so?

If so, how do I do it. Is it just a case of taking wires from the last circuit back to the Consumer box? Do these wire back into the terminals of the original socket on the consumer box. To access them presumably I turn everything off and then take the front off the consumer box.

I am getting more confident at doing things like this and want to have a go.

Or would I get prosecuted for doing this under new regs.

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
no, yes, yes, yes and maybe.....

or to be a little clearer ;)

The advantage of a ring final circuit is that it can carry a larger current load than a single length of the same cable.

However, the risk of overload is dependent on the load you apply and that should be the deciding factor as to the type of circuit.

It would help to know what fuse/breaker is currently protecting this circuit - does it run straight from the main consumer unit? Its possible that it is a spur from an existing circuit in the house (although this would not be a particularly good way of doing it).

Providing your circuit is correctly protected with fuse/breaker then the risk of overload isn't a safety issue, its purely a nuisance if the breaker trips often.

What do you use in the garage? The requirements for a fully stocked woodworking shop are very different from a standard garage with a light and battery charger, and occasionally a power tool or garden mower.

More importantly, the circuit should be RCD protected, so if it isn't that should be part of your plans.

If you want to do this, it would be 'notifiable' under Part P of the building regs. Effectively that means you can get someone to do it who is registered with one of the schemes, or you can do it yourself but you need to contact your local building control department first and pay them a fee - they will then inspect and pass (hopefully!) the wiring as compliant with Building Regs.

Different Building Control departments have different ideas so a call to them first is a good idea.

There is no reason you shouldn't do it yourself, but there are quite a lot of factors involved which you need to consider, especially when dealing with outside wiring (you don't say if the garage is part of the house or separate?)

But this is the place to ask and learn, so pull up a chair and welcome :D

Gavin

You probably have a Radial circuit. This is quite in order provided it is done properly.

How is the power suppliied to the garage?

Are these sockets on their own fuse or MCB? What is its rating?

Are the sockets protected by an RCD?

Is the garage integral to the house; or attached; or an outbuilding?

It is an attached garage

Going back to it own trip switch on the main fuse board. Whole hose professionally re-wired less than 12 months ago. Cannot remember which side it is or its rating.

Sorry, will look later

Just use sockets for general use. Ie spare fridge, lawnmower, Christmas lights etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it was a professional rewire, it will probably be on the RCD side; with a 20A MCB, and run as a radial in 2.5mm.

That would be OK and does not need to be turned into a ring.

JohnD said:
That would be OK and does not need to be turned into a ring.
unless you start needing lots of high power appliences and find 20A isnt enough, but untill then -best left! (after you have checked it is protected by a 20A breaker)

Thanks

How many extra sockets do you think it would be safe to have on as radial.

Also could I quite safely put on a weather proof socket if I needed it

Thanjs

newtodiy123 said:
How many extra sockets do you think it would be safe to have on as radial.
lots! sockets dont use power its what you plug in that does, and if you pull two much power then the breaker will trip (iff correctly rated). there will be a maximum length you can run the radial due to voltage drop.

newtodiy123 said:
Also could I quite safely put on a weather proof socket if I needed it
yes (you could do it in a none safe manner also, but i dont recomend that). -it must be on the RCD (but Im sure from what you have said the others will be). if the weather proof socket is going outside i would put means of isolating it, as if it ever did did get wet you want to be able to isolate it so you can restore power to the rest of the house.

note also it technically would fall under part P.

Thanks

Someone elsewhere on forum also said I could put an outside light onto one of these sockets for convenience

What are your thoughts?

my thoughts on that are it needs to be done thru an FCU and fused down to 5amp for the light (this also enables you to use thinner cable thats easier to work with. i would then put a dp isolator in line so you can fully isolate the light when its seals break and water gets in and your RCD trips. (note tho Im a DIYer not a pro)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back