Service head/earthing arrangement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just moved in with my girlfriend and am starting to uncover lots of stuff to sort. First thing is the kitchen, ripping the old cabinets off the wall revealed an old Wylex fusebox (cream, wooden back.) Anyway, we've got an electrician coming this weekend to do a PIR with a view to replacing the old Wylex fusebox with a new CU (and rewire where required)

I've added some pictures below, but could anyone comment on the cutout/meter arrangement and earthing below? Is it anything I should be concerned about (if so, is it something that YEDL (DNO round here) is obliged to sort?)

No mention of the fuse rating or labels with any dates on etc...

I find it odd that the meter sits right on top of the cutout with the tails fed back through and out the side of it!

Cheers,
sub

Sponsored Links
As far as my limited knowledge goes. Thats a metal clad cut-out and my DNO (Scot POWER) would replace it FOC, If your DNO do replace it ask them to fit an isolator while therye at it. The "method" that consumers used to get theirs changed, was to report a smell of burning/warm tar coming from the meter cupboard. The DNO will come out and inspect it, see its a metal clad, and then should replace it. Also as you have two cables on the incoming side, this may be a neighbours supply cable too. the more learned people on here will be able to tell you for definate.

It's difficult to say wether its a looped supply or not.

It certainly appears to be two either lead or pyro cables, but they might be some sort of antiquated singles L&N

You do have a less common type of cutout, but there are still plenty out there.

I would be inclined to contact the DNO, and mention you have a quite well rusted metal cutout. It also appears to have leaked a bit of pitch onto the supply cables, which is always worth mentioning. (It may have been like that from the day it was fitted, but you don't need to tell them that ;))

You should find they will provide you with a better earth terminal whilst they are at it.

RF is is dead right, rusty and leaky phone DNO get it swapped there is also a possibility that the neutral is fused which wants sorting.

Rob I hope you're not implying that the lovely connector block might not be effective enough ;)

No smell of DIY MAN round there is there??????

Sponsored Links
Phoned YEDL today as had a day off, they weren't interested about a rusted cutout, but as soon as I mentioned a 'tarry substance' they booked it as an emergency.

2 hours later, they've been to inspect, confirmed a looped supply, opened cutout...

"Yeah, that's been burning..."

Will be out to replace before midnight apparently!

Thanks for the responses!

Cool :) Can we see a pic of the shiny new cutout when its been replaced, you know how we love pics :LOL:

Glad its going to be sorted tho!

Well, they arrived 3pm and were done for 4:30pm, fitted a grey plastic Henley unit. 80A fuse.

Didn't convert to PME just fitted an earthing terminal and attached some type of clamping.

Interesting that they linked the earth to what I know is now my neighbours feed, makes me wonder if our earth would become live should they have a fault in the future somewhere...

I'll pop a pic up when I get 5 mins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back