Service valve puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This all started with toilet leaking at waste connection, so involved removing cistern and toilet.

When undoing the fill valve it fractured just above the photo, but I want to fit a new service valve anyway to replace the grungey old one.

Problem is the supply pipe is inserted into some kind of fitting (push-on?) at the tiles on wall, so if I turn the compression nut that entire pipe (15mm copper) just revolves with the service valve. I can't understand how it was tightened in first place without any counterhold?

How do I undo the old service valve from the supply pipe and fit then new (better quality) one I have ready?

Thanks for any advice. This should be simple but I don't want to make a false move and fracture the supply pipe!
IMG_1210.JPG

Sponsored Links
Put a spanner on the flats just above the on/off slot to hold the body and use another spanner to undo the top and bottom nuts.

Thank you I know they look like flats above the on/off slot, but it's just trick of the markings and it's perfectly round same as below the slot. The better valve I bought does have proper flats machined on body!

There are roughly flatted areas in centre of valve, but they're not designed as such so when I try to get grip on them the whole body rotates.

Sponsored Links
make sure you have turned water supply off and drained pipework before you release the joint on the isolator valve. you need a pair of grips to hold the body and a spanner on the nut .

Thanks flameport I have grips just like that so they should give me better purchase on the body.

Also realised I could cut the pipe where it enters valve, but may then be too short to reach inlet valve connector but no room for a flexible service valve pipe.

Terryplumb I've had water off and drained pipes but thanks for timely warning.

Off to find my grips...

No joy so far, but have put some decent penetrant on the compression nut and will see if that helps.

are you sure you are turning the nut the correct way ? hold valve body with grips and turn nut right to left.

@AdrianL

Find some bigger balls!

No offence intended but it will move quite easily. Proper tools and correct balance of force and it will go. Hold against on the valve (opposite direction to the back nut) and apply enough force in both directions.

Always use the larger tool (longer) to hold against with. Don't think too much and just do. The force is strong within you young padwan.

Yup been trying back nut in correct anti-clockwise direction and was using longer grips on valve. Had to down tools till next w/e now (other toilets in house don't worry!) and things usually work when you go back to them. I'm used to seized hardware on old cars so am rather surprised indoor plumbing fittings should be this much of a faff.

Thanks all though for advice and encouragement - it's appreciated

if it won't go with grips then a pair of vice grips on the valve, then use an adjustable on the nut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back