Sesquipedalian…..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
……..is a big word, and in my opinion, using big words when they aren’t really necessary, is a pretty pointless exercise. Is it not the case, that generally speaking, the general public see people who use simpler and easier to understand language as more interesting than those who resort to the use of big words in order to impress the reader?
Don’t get the idea that I suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. I do not fear big words! I am just saying that if a post can be made just as clear using simpler words, why not use them?

Sponsored Links
You mean like those fookwits that prefer to use the short word 'of' instead of 'have?

It may be pointless, but I'm of the opinion that the txt spk corruption of the English language, I.e shortening or abbreviating words is an abomination and should be made a crime.

Occasionally, a 'big word' may be far more succinct, than a mindless stream of little ones!

....my current favourite word: subdermatoglyphic - the longest accepted isogram! :)

...anyone else a fan of Jonathan Meades?

Sponsored Links
One of Orwell's rules of good writing was "never use a long word where a short word will do".

Often those who use long words are trying to pretend they have superior knowledge to you; blind you with science or otherwise deceive you.

Some very entertaining and knowledgeable people have a way with words and can use long and obscure words properly and to good effect. These speakers are a world apart from the pretentious sort.

Why use any old blunt instrument for a job when the right one is available?

One of Orwell's rules of good writing was "never use a long word where a short word will do".

Often those who use long words are trying to pretend they have superior knowledge to you; blind you with science or otherwise deceive you.

Some very entertaining and knowledgeable people have a way with words and can use long and obscure words properly and to good effect. These speakers are a world apart from the pretentious sort.
In America, they call it "using a 50 dollar word to express a 2 bit thought".

My mate used to say, "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" one day he went to the library where he tripped over a huge dictionary someone had left on the floor and killed himself.

Sponsored Links
Back