Setting out a slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first a quick introduction.

I am a keen DIYer and have been renovating houses in the UK and France for the last 25 years. Two main reasons one to save money but also as a hobbie as i love the hands on experience and looking back at the work i have done. My issue is with a slate roof on a cob building with is 250 years old.

I have stripped off one side of the roof added the undersarking put on the laths at the right gauge eventually!! My problem is the roof runs out left to right by 23cm!! This is two big to correct by gapping the tiles so i was wondering if any one can tell me how to sort this. I have tried cutting the slates but they run to nothing so this does not work.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How was it done before you stripped it?
What slate are you using and do you have any pictures?

Hi Thanks for replying. It was a really old roof with lots of patches (see the right had side of the photo which I have not stripped yet) it did not have laths but had strips of uneven oak and bark almost like misshapen planks.

I have uploaded 4 photos does this give you what you need?
IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5455.JPG
IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5455.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 263
France I see.. Brittany by any chance? hook fix? the answer is trimming over several slates.

Sponsored Links
As above - you will definitely have to trim some slates.
But first, let the slates that you intend to trim run full length before taking a chalk line across them to mark a neat trimming line.

Do you propose replacing the fascia & guttering on the RH side?

I look at the ridge and it seems to be at two levels - I also wonder if your setting out was accurate?

Perhaps, from the "dormer ridge line", treat the RH roof plane as almost a separate roof. Presumably you want the slates to flow through & over the RH extension roof?
When the RH side is stripped - then pull stringlines (high & low) across from the dormer cheek to the RH verge - to establish a single flat roof plane.

The soil pipe vent could be forty five'd around the eaves rather than piercing the roof.
Or it could be cut to below the eaves and have an AAV if they are permitted?

Careful flashing detail will be needed where the dormer cheeks meet the sill position.

yes France the Sarthe near Le mans and yes hook fixings which is just as well the amount of times the tiles have been on and off!

A couple of questions on the trimming if I can.

1. how many rows across would you recommend trimming to pull back the 21cm?
2. when you say use the chalk line to get a nice straight edge. Do I fit the slates in place drop the chalk line on them then lift and trim refit? or is there an easier way?
3. any websites you can recommend to see this in action?

With regards to the ridge line, that was my next question as it runs out a mile what should I have done? lifted all the laths on the right hand side to get rid of the step?

Thanks again

Sorry I was going to add.....

I am moving the soil stack to below the roof line and fitting a Durgo value like you say. The flashing is going to be interesting? particularly as the French use zinc and not lead.

Setting out with a chalk/dye line is standard practice,
There are a couple of options here, line back from the verge and trim as you go until your on the line... or cut the verge A raking cut wont hurt.

looking again from a novice angle . you may find it easier to slate back to the dormer.. there by you just cut into the dormer cheek and just a couple of courses above the dormer to join.
While it might take a little longer going left to right , It is perfectly possible.

Zinc or lead soakers, principle the same nothing to fret over.

Ridge, The gauge is set so let it run out, just as you have.

Great gutter isn't it!

Who slated the piece of roof on the right?

Thanks for you reply I will work back from the verge and trim each tile and just let the ridge run out as it currently is hopefully it will not look too bad when I get the tiles on.

Yes I love the gutter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back