Settle an arguement lads!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to look at enstalling some down lighters today, the customer is an ex-electrician.

When i told him that if he wanted to install downlighters he would either need a cu that provided rcd protection (he has a wylex rewireable) or that I would need to add a smaller unit to provide the RCD protection for the circuit that he wants the down lighters on.

He said there was nothing in the new regs that required it and i pointed out that by adding any new or extending a circuit will require it to have RCD protection, as per the regs.

I am right am i not!!!

Sponsored Links
Are you concealing new cabling in wall as part of the work (eg new switch drop)

If not, then I see no reason why you should have to provide RCD protection (except if the additional light points are in the bathroom)

Are you concealing new cabling in wall as part of the work (eg new switch drop)

If not, then I see no reason why you should have to provide RCD protection (except if the additional light points are in the bathroom)

Agreed. Plus, you could easily install an RCD FCU if such protection is required.

Hey, really good point there lads, the spots are for the living room first floor flat, cables in the loft, no new switch drop or cables to be buried in a wall so, agreed, no need for RCD protection, thou it would be preferable in my opinion. Will have to eat some humble pie, mind he is on about having some in the bathroom eventually, but will mention this as well

Sponsored Links
If the cables are in the loft then surely it requires 30mA RCD? they are not in metallic tube and not buried less than 50mm and could easily become damaged moving boxes around etc?

Nope. The regulation relates to a cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm from the surface of the wall or partition.

So when has a ceiling not been a partition then? I think i would personally install some form of RCD just to cover my own arse!

A ceiling has never been a partition. The giveaway is in the fact it is called a ceiling and not a partition.

There is absouloutly no requirement at all to RCD protect a cable in a loft.

I think you should spend a bit more time learning BS7671:2008 to make sure your ass is covered.

Yeah a partition is a vertical structure, i dont know of any vertical ceilings! whoops!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back