Several queries as BC may be visiting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope someone can help here:-

We are doing up an excouncil house and need to invite BC round as we want to remove and replace a wooden railway sleeper lintel with a 'proper' one.

But, I'm concerned BC will have problems with some of the other repairs I'm doing particularly if they want to have a look around.

Firstly is the bathroom.
Do i need to fit an extractor fan or will the old vent still be ok?
I've moved the door and taken out some breeze blocks and made a stud wall. I haven't insulted this soundwise but it goes into the hall is that a problem?
Can I put a light switch and plug socket on the stud wall even though the shower will be on the other side?

Secondly
I'm replacing most of the floorbs with chipboard as they are soaked in dog urine. I'm also digging out a section of concrete floor and the soil underneath in the opened up kitchen (due to damp). Will they have a problem with this?

Thirdly
There are a few areas that need replastering, mainly in the kitchen, are there any regs to be wary of here?

Fourthly
We have an extension/garden room, built a long time ago without PP or to Building Regs. Will they make us do something about this?

Fifthly
We had a plumber move the gas meter about a foot, would they dislike this?

Also, at a later date we want to instal a clean burn stove with a max heat output of 3.75KW. Do BC need to know about this or is it small enough to get away with?

Not sure if I'm being paranoid, maybe BC will be nice.

Thanks

Jo

Sponsored Links
By invite I assume you mean make a Building Regulations application and pay the relevant fee for the 'controllable' work you describe in you post:

My 10 p's worth....

1) If it is an existing bathroom an extract fan is not required, however the electrical work if inside the "wet room" is controllable either part P or the Council must inspect it. If outside the bathroom and it is an alteration to an existing circuit it is not controllable under the regs.

2) If you dig up/replace more than 25% of the groundfloor you will have to insulate to modern standards, also if it is a suspended floor it would need to be ventilated or if being replaced with a concrete floor a DPM put down.

3) Theorectically if you replaster more than 25% of the external walls you will also need to insulate to modern standards, but this a 'grey' area... Another thing to be wary about are rogue electrical circuits being hidden in the existing walls- proceed with caution!

4) If the building was constructed more than 3 years ago, Building Control would have no enforcement powers over the garden room, personally I wouldn't mention it if I were you as it will open up a big can of worms... If you have recently purchased the house, the Solicitor should have raised this if it was a problem (or identified by the surveyor)

5) As far as I am aware only transco (or other statutory undertaker) have the right to move the gas meter....

6) The stove would need to be installed by a HETAS approved contractor or the installation would have to be inspected/approved by the Local Authority.

I think your best way forward is to list the work you plan to do, go and see Building Control at your local council and ask what is and isn't controlled by regs, they will also be able to advise you on the fee..

This is not a complete answer but will spark some replies I am sure!

Thanks Inspector!!

Yes thats right we're wanting to make the BR application.

1) It's a new bathroom suite and tiles but the same room. Does this mean we can get away with the vent?

2) It's under 25% and it will be suspended. I'm going to install an air brick to ventilate and reduce damp.

3) Only a small area mainly on internal walls

4) It's been around for ages, I'll have to keep the back door locked so he can't see it!

5) Ooops, the gas man didn't alter the connecting point though. He moved the gas meter within reach of the existing convoluted pipe. Hope thats OK.

6) OK thought that might be the case.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Inspector!!

Yes thats right we're wanting to make the BR application.

1) It's a new bathroom suite and tiles but the same room. Does this mean we can get away with the vent?

Why would you want to? Have a look in some of the other Diynot forums and see how many folks are having problems with condensation at this time of year. An extractor fan will reduce this problem by a considerable amount.

2) It's under 25% and it will be suspended. I'm going to install an air brick to ventilate and reduce damp.

Again, regardless of regs it would be foolish to install a suspended floor without insulation between the joists. A ventilated floor void means that cold air will be passing under the floorboards, don't get cold feet!

Hi Deluks

If I got an extractor fan would it be possible to run it out through the old vented exterior brick or would I need to remove that. Can they be fitted without having to access them from the outside?

About the floor, I am actually replacing almost the whole suspended floor with chipboard (was just thinking about the concrete section when I said it would be less than 25%). So this brings me into Building Control country afterall. I've heard that insulation between joists can lead to an increase in rot in the floor so wasn't sure about it.

Thanks

Jo

What type of insulation would you recommend? Would pollystyrene between joists be ok?
Ta
Jo

When upgrading an existing floor the U-value should be 0.25W/m2k. Practically this is achieved by using either 100mm of Celotex or 200mm Fibreglass between joists at 450mm centres.
An accurate U-value could be calculated taking into account the exposed perimeter and the area but the the above insulation should satisfy the BC.
The underfloor void should ideally be a minimum of 150mm with an airbrick roughly every 1500mm although this may be difficult to achieve on an older property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back