Sewage Smell by Shower Drain - Just had plumber round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some plumber advice please.

I attach a link to picture which shows a cross-section of my house and where the problem lies.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwgn5j3hf86uv1q/shower.jpg

The smell is coming from the shower drain. The plumber put some chemicals (one shot) down the drain although I have tried some in the past (weaker off-shelf ones I was told). However I am not convinced the problem is solved - if its not what else could be the problem? The waste pipe runs under the floor of the roof extension and is not easy to access. It has been suggested that the toilet could be leaking but if this was the cause I would expect the smell to persist all the time, instead it varies from almost nothing to a heavy from day to day over last few months.

Any thoughts welcomed esp. easy things I could do to eliminate possible causes to help figure out the root problem.

Thanks
JK

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the trap seal in the shower is being "sucked out" after using the shower. More information needed. How readily does the shower drain when in use (do you stand in a pool of water). Has the plumber actually fitted a trap. Does it smell all the time or only start after some particular other action - such as flushing toilet etc. Does the wind have an effect on the smell starting. How long is the pipe from the toilet to the sewer stack. Do you know what diameter it is. Do you have problems with the toilet outlet blocking. Does the toilet water level change over the course of the day (does it fall by 1/2" or so). Your sketch shows a vertical vent - it this really open to the atmosphere or could it be blocked.

Bit of guess work but it could be the toilet dragging the water seal out of the shower trap, is this a new thing or have you had problems before?

The plumber used "one shot" on a smelly shower? Cowboy, what would happen if this pipe work had a leak and leaked to the floor below.

Answers on a post card.

Do you have chrome waste in the shower?

Andy

Sponsored Links
As been said, if it's coming from the plug hole, the trap isn't working, or missing.

If it's at the end of the pipe something could be sucking the water out.

The plumber used "one shot" on a smelly shower? Cowboy, what would happen if this pipe work had a leak and leaked to the floor below.

Answers on a post card.

Do you have chrome waste in the shower?

Andy

Yea I thought that through afterwards!

Theres a chrome cap on top of the shower waste hole, I can remove that with hand and theres plastic underneath....not sure if that helps at all?

Sorry, what I mean is that one shot kills chrome.

Best thing to do is cover the waste with a plastic bag and tape down all the edges. See if the smell is there I the morning.

Andy

Just gone back in bathroom after few hours and smell totally gone first time like this in months, so can't be toilet leak right?! Nervous to use toilet or shower now in case it comes back, will leave overnight let's see!

Btw Andy you cover nw7?

If you remove the chrome cover (assuming you can!) is there a plastic tube in place which can be lifted out?

It wouldn't be the first time that the component which forms the water seal had been removed and not being replaced.

PS - anybody who uses Oneshot type products on internal pipework should be shot!

One-Shot >90% sulphuric acid so guaranteed to rot out all metal it comes into contact with - including any copper tube or brass fittings it finds on its way down the drain. And its fumes are capable of rotting any metal they drift onto.

These shower wastes need cleaning regularly. If I don't clean ours every week (Missus won't touch it!) it gets clogged with hair, soap scum and all manner of bodily fluids. AND THEN IT STINKS!!

I mean all internal, removable parts removed, all hair pulled out, soaked in bleach for an hour, then blasted with the steamer. All black gunge to be scrubbed of all parts and within the bowl of the trap.

If you remove the chrome cover (assuming you can!) is there a plastic tube in place which can be lifted out?

It wouldn't be the first time that the component which forms the water seal had been removed and not being replaced.

PS - anybody who uses Oneshot type products on internal pipework should be shot!

Hi Yes there is a tube about 4 inches that comes out easily, assume its supposed to do that..

Yes - just make sure that it seats correctly.

As earlier replies - most likely the seal is being pulled. If this is only started to happen recently then it's possible there is a partial blockage elsewhere in the system

Jackrae wrote "One-Shot >90% sulphuric acid so guaranteed to rot out all metal it comes into contact with - including any copper tube or brass fittings it finds on its way down the drain. And its fumes are capable of rotting any metal they drift onto."

Oneshot type products can generate significant heat and considerable volumes of gases depending on what they meet in the pipework. These images show where welded waste pipework actually ruptured as a result of a dose of sulphuric acid. The heat generated was also sufficient to soften the pipework so that the previously vertical stub moved through 180 degrees.

View media item 65954 View media item 65953

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back