sewage smell seems to be blowing back into kitchen on windy days? how can i stop it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
keep having what seems to be blow back sewage smells into our kitchen on windy days?
weve got the kitchen sink and washing machine in kitchen that both drain into the soil pipe in the corner of the kitchen,and a small toilet downstairs with sink that also drain into the same sewage pipe,and an upstairs toilet and and shower that also drain into the same sewage pipe?
but the smells only come back in through the kitchen,possibly the waste pipes and hose that takes away the washing machine water?the smell does seem to come from the back of the washing machine?
i clean the sink and washing machine regular with all sort of cleaners for washing machines,and carbonate soda and white vinegar,etc.
but still on windyish days we get what appears to be blowback smells from kitchen area only from possibly the soilpipe ?
is their any sort of valves that allows water out and stops blowback smells?its embaressing when people come to our house.
the sewage pipe is boarded around with either ply or plaster board and decorated so a bot difficult to get at to have a look?
any ideas please get back to me,thanks john

Sponsored Links
Need to see what the pipework arrangements are under the sink etc, is the washing machine drain connected correctly? Possible on windy days the wind is pushing foul air back down the vent pipe and into the room through open pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back