Shaded Garden Recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All ,
I'm looking to plant up my north facing front garden,in particular against a fence which sees very little direct sun. I've tried online to establish what plants would flourish in the shade, however I would prefer actual recommends from experience.
I'm looking for something tall to mask the fence and a bit of colour in front as bedding plants.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Doug

Sponsored Links
I can recommend hostas, ferns, brunnera, ivy, euonymous fortuneii, mahonia, alchemilla molis, anemone blanda, cyclamen, snowdrops, vinca. Not all varieties may be suitable; check.

The RHS page at https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=934 is worth a look (follow the links).
They say some camelias are shade-loving, which would be lovely - at least for the short period that they flower. Also maybe some rhododendrons/azaleas and a few climbing roses.

To mask a shady fence evergreen honeysuckle is a good option, Lonicera japonica halliana.

Variageted bamboo perhaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back