Shared access with driveway , who owns what.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been told by my aunts neighbours that they will extending the front of their ex council house into a porch taking in the bay window - houses are 50s ex council with the a window bay on the ground level .

My concern is since moving in they have been taking liberties with the driveway and massive extension will continue to do so unless I say something but not too sure who owns what.

They share an alleyway which runs between the houses which did have a fence on either side but since moving in they removed the fence ( on their side ) concreting ( over the shared access ) up to my aunts fence causing it to rot.

The husband is a taxi driver and parks his VAN on this section crashing / damaging the fence several times and all times of night the lights from his van and engine running shines straight into my aunts house .

In the next couple of weeks they are going to dig it up again but this time I want to establish an line of who can park where .

They put a gate on the alleyway with a padlock even though my aunts Gas meter is in there , they said it was for security reason as they have no other access to the back - my aunt have an alleyway on the other side aswell so they said we should use that .

Any ideas on who owns that section or is split 50/50 and the best way of going forward . The red boundary is the neighbours house .

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• alley1.jpg
    alley1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
Will ask her to get a photo done tomorrow ,

I have labelled photos ,

Attachments

• alley1.jpg
    alley1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 127
You say ex council house so I presume your Aunt has bought hers so have a look on the deeds to see if anything is mentioned therein and take it from there

Sponsored Links
The alleyway is similar to to what is found on these two houses , as you can see the houses attaches about the alleyway which a shared access . On my aunties house she has a fence which leads to the side of the entrance , there was one on the otherside so the centre was shared but they ripped it down and concreated upto her fence where they park .

Attachments

• houses.jpg
    houses.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 132
Looking at your diagram the boundary is likely to be straight down the middle of the alleyway which means they have no right to park over the middle or deny your aunty access to it.

Who owns land and has rights to or over land is stipulated in the property deeds to the land, not on internet forums.

you are probably better over at gardenlaw in the "right of way" or "boundaries" forums

Who owns land and has rights to or over land is stipulated in the property deeds to the land, not on internet forums.
as Woody says. Obtain your aunts deeds and see what they detail.

edit, spelling corrected (expletive deleted auto-correct)

Last edited:
thanks , been to the website .

Title plan£3If you buy a copy of the title plan, this will show:
  • the location of the property
  • the general boundaries of the property - most title plans do not show the exact position of the boundaries

I have the original title plans from 40 years ago but they do not show the alleway in the print .

There is another tab a bit further down to view available documents. You need title plan and title register.

There is another tab a bit further down to view available documents. You need title plan and title register.
Just downloaded the file and comes up as - I have not downloaded the neighbours boundary .

land.jpg

Attachments

• 1654849851877.png
    1654849851877.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 65
surely the fact that there is an arrow and a "1" means there is a comment somewhere that refers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back