Shared external stop tap is underwater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've a tiny leak on our internal stop tap on the supply side after bumping it while doing renovations, i was going to change the compression olive by turning off the supply in the street to work on it but it seems the outside tap is underwater (attached picture).

I believe this supplies three properties. We're in a 1900s terrace and there's one of these every 3 houses on the pavement. I had a look in some other covers down the street and they're dry. The water in ours looks pretty stagnant so i don't think it's a leak? It could maybe be ground water? I'm wondering what the protocol is here? Is it pretty common for them to be filled with water? Should i ring the water board?

Attachments

• 20220303_110358.jpg
    20220303_110358.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 236
Sponsored Links
Yes, that is what my neighbour had to do in a similar situation.

Yes it's common. Bail it out if you're curious, otherwise phone local water transporter- they'll have a Leak Line somewhere :) .

It may well be rainwater.

Bale it out with a ladle, a small bucket, or a wet-and-dry vacuum cleaner if you are lucky enough to have one. I have also used a child's supersoaker water gun. Even a Turkey baster will do it.

If you are very keen, use a garden trowel to get the mud and grit out so it is nice and clean down there.

Rubber gloves would be a good idea. You may cut or graze your hand and the water may be very unhygienic.

A stopcock key can be very useful. This one fits several sizes.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-universal-stopcock-key-920mm/71652

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses, the wet-vac is a great idea, I'll give that a shot, hoovering the inspection plate on the pavement will give the neighbors another thing to curtain twitch over!

I'll keep an eye on it once it's dry, see how long it takes to fill up again, but glad it's nothing serious.

I like to keep mine clean and clear

upload_2022-3-3_14-5-49.png

And the big one

upload_2022-3-3_14-6-32.png

The key fits several sizes

That stopvalve may well be of the Hex key type, they come supplied with a wire rod, with hex end and Triangular handle to turn it. Usually a 10mm Hex Key, replacements for the original don't seem to be available for some reason.

We've a tiny leak on our internal stop tap on the supply side after bumping it while doing renovations, i was going to change the compression olive by turning off the supply in the street to work on it but it seems the outside tap is underwater (attached picture).
how badly bumped, would nipping up the compression fixing a bit stop the leak?

i was told some years ago, by a plumber , when he needed to turn off our outside tap, that if he did it and the tap broke, i would have to pay for the repair, if i called waterboard out - and it broke, they would fix, they came out, it broke, 3 days to fix .....
not sure how true the payment situation is

That stopvalve may well be of the Hex key type, they come supplied with a wire rod, with hex end and Triangular handle to turn it. Usually a 10mm Hex Key, replacements for the original don't seem to be available for some reason.

Yes, it does look like that. Presumably a socket set with T handle and extension bar would do it.

I used to have a water meter with the push-on plastic handle.

i was told some years ago, by a plumber , when he needed to turn off our outside tap, that if he did it and the tap broke, i would have to pay for the repair, if i called waterboard out - and it broke, they would fix, they came out, it broke, 3 days to fix .....
not sure how true the payment situation is

External Stop Tap is usually Water Co's responsibility, round here Anglian have changed/fitted them in the past FOC when there was/is no other way of isolating the supply into a property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back