Shaver socket to 3 pin adapter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a clipsal shaver socket in the bathroom (says 115, 240v)

Is there an adapter available so I can use a regular uk 3 pin plug, (aka my babyliss stubble trimmer) (and example link?) or should I consider having the unit replaced with a standard 3pin socket if one is made for bathrooms?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless 3 meters from bath or shower, 13 amp sockets are not allowed in a bathroom. I am sure there is some Chinese adaptor, but the shaver socket has an output limit from memory of 300 mA, I may be wrong on the value, so although you can swap the 13 amp plug for a 2 pin shaver plug, step one is what is the power requirement of your babyliss stubble trimmer.

I have looked it up
Shaver-style power lead for convenient rechargeable in the bathroom.
Also includes a standard 3-pin plug adaptor.
and it says the trimmer is 4.5 volt, and is rechargeable anyway, so what is the problem?

Hi Eric, well, every year my razor seems to die, battery wize, or some other how, then I end up using it on an annoying extension cable into bathroom until I concede to buy another... And mostly, for the type I like (which can trim as low as 0.5mm) they don't come with a 2 pin razor plug end, so I wandered how best I could solve this issue.

Either a compatible adapter I could plug into the existing socket, or change the socket to a 3 pin

I've just ordered a babyliss 7847u, I don't remember in the past it coming with a shaver cord, but we'll see...

Sponsored Links
It comes with a “wall wart” power supply that plugs in to a 13amp UK socket.
So you can’t change the plug. As @foxhole says, it’s rechargeable, so there is no need to plug it in to the shaver point in the bathroom!!
There’s a video review on YouTube. Power connections at about 4minutes.

It comes with a “wall wart” power supply that plugs in to a 13amp UK socket.
So you can’t change the plug. As @foxhole says, it’s rechargeable, so there is no need to plug it in to the shaver point in the bathroom!!
Quite so.

You can charge that device anywhere that you can "plug in" that which it is its SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply)
or
another "SMPS" that will deliver the same charging current to the input socket concerned.

It is an "Extra Low Voltage" rechargeable device.
You can recharge it from any suitable "source".

The regulations for installing (or not installing) "Socket Outlets" in UK bathrooms were set "way back"
(which may have been a "good idea" - at the time) -
but have not (yet) caught up with current practices of "trusting" RCDs to do that which they are supposed to do - as is done elsewhere in the world

Although not technically a shaver plug 1672478812261.png most shaver sockets will take the Euro Plug as well as proper shaver plug.

There is also a USB option.

Often the wall mart power supplies come with exchangeable bases, so you select what type of socket it plugs into. I must admit I normally discard the non British, and I would say hanging a power supply from a socket is not the best option.

Technically this 1672479528444.png 1672479577940.pngis not permitted, as it does not have the correct BS EN number on it, Screwfix 42092 and 151CC but if I needed to charge/use shaver in the bathroom, that is what I would fit, even if not technically permitted.

However any EICR will likely list it as not complying.

The regulations for installing (or not installing) "Socket Outlets" in UK bathrooms were set "way back"
but have not (yet) caught up with current practices of "trusting" RCDs to do that which they are supposed to do - as is done elsewhere in the world
The 11th Edition (1939) regulation 1002 (C) says:

IMG_20221231_095001_HDR.jpg

And the 13th Edition (1955) regulation 305 (c) says:
IMG_20221231_095254_HDR.jpg

Sadly, I don't have a 12th Edition.

It is not a given that a 30mA RCD will prevent death from electric shock.

From another "old" source ( 1987 ) https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html
1672481176516.jpeg

Above 200 milliamps, the muscular contractions are so severe that the heart is forcibly clamped during the shock. This clamping protects the heart from going into ventricular fibrillation, and the victim's chances for survival are good
end quote

provided medical aid arrives promptly

Hi Eric, well, every year my razor seems to die, battery wize, or some other how, then I end up using it on an annoying extension cable into bathroom until I concede to buy another...

I don't use electric/battery shavers much these days, usually only whilst away from home, for convenience, but my old Philishave must be around 20+ years old, still on it's original battery and works fine. I bought a Lidl one about four years ago, which lives in the caravan, only getting a charge once per year, and that is also fine.

I never leave them on charge, only charge them when they need charging - perhaps that is the difference?

Had a holiday in Spain , fuseboard for property was in bathroom , shoulder height within reach of the hand basin.Seemed a bit dodgy .

Had a holiday in Spain , fuseboard for property was in bathroom , shoulder height within reach of the hand basin.Seemed a bit dodgy .
It’s the European way, they can’t be trusted with new fangled things like electricity.
It’s the reason we left the EU.

Isn‘t the current minimum distance from a bath/shower 2.5 m rather than the old 3 m?

Basins, like kitchen sinks, do not have any zones, only baths and showers do. I still agree that a CU in a bathroom is not the brightest thing to do and in many European countries doesn‘t conform to the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back