Shed Base (new spade newbie)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been having a browse around the forum and seems like a good place to ask silly questions so here goes.

I want to build an 18x10 shed, back of the shed in far right corner of going along the wall to left side of photo.

I have started to remove the old hedges and bushes etc and the scaffolding is there due to neighbours roof which will hopefully be gone soon and I can remove the other roots from the ground under scaffolding.

I planned to use 900x600 slabs. The ground is quite uneven and wondered what the best approach is?

2fDL1UO.jpg

OaLuBRM.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Work out your levels so your not retaining too much on the low side but not down into the ground too deep on the high side and consider the where the door will be and having that close to the ground level.

Cant really answer any more based on the vague question?

Work out your levels so your not retaining too much on the low side but not down into the ground too deep on the high side and consider the where the door will be and having that close to the ground level.

Cant really answer any more based on the vague question?

Yep sorry I guess I'm not explaining very well. I want to slab an area from near the wire fence 18x10 the 18ft length going left towards the path, but I'm unsure how to make it level and worried about water etc.

Sponsored Links
As I said go for a halfway house to deal with any slope.

You should aim to put down 75-100mm of compacted hardcore and then lay your slabs on 50mm of sand and cement bedding. So 75mm + 50mm bedding + 50mm for slab thickness means you need to dig out the whole area to 175mm below your finished surface height. You paving should have a fall of approx 1:80 to shed water.

So If your ground is 200mm lower on the lowest corner than the highest, rather than dig the whole area out to that deep (which would mean digging 375mm off the high corner) you could dig the high side out to 275mm and the low side to just 75mm. Then add an extra 100mm of fill back in on your low side.

This will reduce the amount of labour but means that you need a small kerb to retain the extra built up material on the low corner. Also if your door was at this corner it will be 100mm up off the ground?

You can chose to dig the whole lot down to the low level but it will cost you a lot more in skips etc and you then need to retain the bank left behind on the high corner because you are now 200mm down from the original level.

That making sense? Just think it through methodically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back