Shed electrics...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Please see the image attached.

What would be needed to bring this installation up to standard? Cousin is selling his house and I'm fairly certain this install is now very dubious!!

Cheers

oqvu5d.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not enough detail in picture.

A blank needs fitting over that hole in the consumer unit.

What does the junction box serve?

Is there an RCD fitted somewhere?

Where is the main supply cable, and what type of cable is it? How is the cable run?

The junction box looks as if it could be improved but just because the rest is old does not mean it is unsafe.

As he is selling the house there's no point him doing anything.

OK thanks. Just thought it might be picked up when he sells.

Not sure what the junction box serves, I can check next time I'm there.

The cable feeding the shed is clipped along the fence at ground level. Surely that can't be right!! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Not ideal. Fences can blow over.

Is it armoured cable (usually black) or ordinary cable, or something else?

Clipping cables to unsecure structures is not recommended, is this cable also suitable for the external environment that it is routed in?

Belt and braces, to flag up most problems would be to employ an electrician and have and electrical installation condition report performed on the installation.

The quickest and cheapest way is to locate the supply for that lot, and disconnect it.

Why do people apparently only consider the safety of their electrical system when they are moving to another property?

Belt and braces, to flag up most problems would be to employ an electrician and have and electrical installation condition report performed on the installation.
True as a generalisation - but why would the seller of a property want to 'flag up most problems'?

Kind Regards, John

Why do people apparently only consider the safety of their electrical system when they are moving to another property?
Human nature. However, it's not necessarily a case of them 'not having considered the safety of their electrical system' until then. Just as with the decor, level of clutter/untidiness, appearance of the garden etc. etc., they may be perfectly happy and comfortable to live with what they have, themselves, but fear that potential buyers might think differently.

I suspect that even many an electrician has been known to 'make a few tweaks' to aspects of his/her electrical installation (particularly things which are 'visible') before attempting to sell the property!

Kind Regards, John

True as a generalisation - but why would the seller of a property want to 'flag up most problems'?
So the seller has then got they opportunity to resolve any issues, prior to selling the property!
If I were to sell a property, I would personally supply full reports on all services within the dwelling. But I am not saying that is what must be done, just replying to the OPs question.

What would be needed to bring the installation up to standard?
An EICR would hopefully point them in the direction of what would be required to do that!

So the seller has then got they opportunity to resolve any issues, prior to selling the property!
That's very laudable but, I would suggest, not an approach by any means universally taken by sellers of properties :)

I would suggest that it's probably far more common for sellers to try to 'paper over' defects (sometimes literally) prior to selling, rather than to resolve the known issues!

Kind Regards, John

That's very laudable but, I would suggest, not an approach by any means universally taken by sellers of properties :)
Well that's the way I am! Like I said I am not saying that would happen in the world outside mine, just answering the question asked by the OP!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back