shed heater

Sponsored Links
I have a similar one, I'm sure the instructions said not for shed/greenhouse use or summat. They are pricey to run anyhow.
You'd be better off sealing the draughts/gaps first of all.

assuming your shed is around 12x10ft its going to cost 50p to £1 a day average over the 16 weeks of the winter 60 to £100 ish

what exactly do you need to keep warm !!

may be cheaper to heat specific areas and cover with blankets at night ;)

what exactly do you need to keep warm !!
;)

my motor bike, pillar drill, woodworking tools, I don't want to heat it up as such just stop it cooling over night so things don't form condensation on them, I can heat the shed up so Its warm enough to work in by turning on a 500w flood light for 30 minutes
and as for the draughts well that's just a case of sealing with a strip at the bottom of the doors, (just one of those things that I never
got round to). :oops: :)

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
sorry wilhelm but I nearly pi*sed myself laughing hope you didn't lose to much and no one was hurt, what was the heater you used ?
and did you do any jacket potatoes there really nice when done in a wood fire :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (wiping tears away here)

why not buy a smaller heater and put a frost stat on it?

I have a tiny tubular heater on a timer it comes on / off every cople of hours during the nigh only.
its only to stop some condensation on some "metal switches" works well, one day i will get a frost stat for it

does your shed feel damp rather than cold

my shed is often down to 3% yes the hand plane irons do tarnish but only because i dont use them enough lol :D

i leave a 2.6kw fan heater on frost stat [3 degrees] if i think the temperature is likly to go below zero

one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ure|10197552/Trail/searchtext>FAN+HEATERS.htm

i do try to make shure the shed is abouve 10 degrees for an hour at least every other day

no not damp its just a bit of condensation that forms some times this time of the year, although I do have a wet grinder in there and a small pot with water beside the dry grinder.

I looked at the tube heaters but they don't come with a thermostat and I've no idea what the difference is with a frost stat nor how to fit one

I just was looking to raise the temp over night and hold it Constance.
what I notice today was It was cold in there after last nights frost so when I'd had the door open a little while condensation had formed
on the vice and on other metal items.
the cost of a few pounds a week heating is not as important to me as looking after my tool. (sorry don't mean this as it sounds :oops: )
the oil filled rad I link to has a timer as well a t'stat and my line of though was set it to come at 3pm till 9am or just leave it all day
maybe 10 degrees it a little to high. I looked at fan ones but thought they might raise the dust to much.

ok how big is your shed!!

sounds like you only have a condensation problem when the moist air outside is condencing on the cold steel!!!

can you not work with the door closed untill the internal temperature in the shed is the same or above the outside temperature !!

as i say i dont have a damp problem but i do have a sheppach tiger 2500 with around 2 pints water open with no probs

why not just set on frost setting [3%]then boost to 10% 30 mins before you want to work then you will have no probs

and a fan heater will not circulate dust unless it is already in the air

shed 13x9 ft Its a home build ¾ shiplap outside 4x2 frame ¾ ply lined height 8ft.
I do have the door shut for woodwork but not when welding but its just when I'm getting some tools out for the underpinning I'm doing
on the cottage at the moment.

i never actualy have the door open if its cold except when i pass through to cut sheets on the garden table or go get a cup off coffee

regardless of the wind the air inside the shed is absolutly still the windows and doors are a good fit which perhaps keeps the damp air out off my shed

the walls are preasure treated shiplap with 3 coats of the waxy ronseal finnish on

the roof overhangs by around 6" with the gutter giving another 2" cover

the roof has 3 layer torch on felt

the floor is 18mm ply as is the roof all joins atr on the 3x2" frame or 2x1"battons

all in all very dry and very air tight

i wonder if your motor bike is contributing to the problem !!!!

my poor lonely bike its only been out twice this year, less than 50 mile this year just not had the time, Its just over 2 year old and only
done 700 something miles.
only real differences between sheds is mines flat roof, well pitched but you know what I mean and I have a 10 inch thick concrete floor
which does have a dpm, wood floors, arc,gas welding, gas cutting don't mix.
I could just leave the flood light on in there but the other half would only moan about it, it would be better to have something stood on
the floor under the bench behind the saw horse ( out of sight out of mind ) and brought and fitted when she's not here. ;)
women are strange, I pay all the bills but get told off for leaving a light on. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back