Shed / Office roof install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a general question to get a better understanding behind the reasons of doing something a certain way.

I am researching building a office in the garden and have been reading up and looking at videos on the process.

In almost all cases, the base is built based on the required measurements and then placed in the desired location. Each wall is then built and then fixed in its desired location. But this is not the case when it comes to the roof. Each rafter is installed individually on the building, then the front and back plates are attached.

My question is why isn't the roof structure built as a unit based on the desired measurements and once fully ready, attached to the building?

Sponsored Links
Generally the floor and roof are too big to build in one.

It's not too hard to assemble the wall framework laid flat then raised upright.

It's very hard to lift a whole roof up onto the walls ....only light sheds are done that way

Generally the floor and roof are too big to build in one.

It's not too hard to assemble the wall framework laid flat then raised upright.

It's very hard to lift a whole roof up onto the walls ....only light sheds are done that way

Thanks, that makes sense. The idea of building and then moving in place seems easier, but I bet it will be much heavier than I'm imagining in my head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back