Shed roof structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently designing a shed and have a question about how to structure the roof. I need to keep the height under 2.5m as it's close to a boundary.

The shed is 5' 6" x 11' and will be built out of 3x2. I was aiming for an apex roof with 6/12 slope. This would make the rise about 1' 5", plus the rafter and sheathing etc, so call it 1' 9". The slab is a couple of inch above ground. That leaves me a maximum of 6'3" from slab to eaves.

Ideally I'd avoid rafter ties as I would prefer the extra headroom, but I am conscious of the possibility of wall spread down the 11' length. I had toyed with the idea of a ridge beam to transfer load into the gable walls, but this would come down over the doors and give me another headache.

I am aware this is likely overkill for a shed but I'd rather do the job once and properly.

Any opinions on what to do? I believe it is acceptable to install rafter ties 1/3 up from the wall top plate, this could buy me an extra few inches headroom? Or lower the roof pitch to 5/12 and use the saving on the eaves height? Ignore rafter ties entirely because its just a shed?

Sponsored Links
keep in mind you only need head height where your head will go
in my shed i have "A" frames with the cross bit at 6ft3" and at the sides drops to perhaps 5ft6 on a 30% angle i am about 5ft 10ex 6ft lol

Sponsored Links
What are you having for the roof covering?

You could build a scissor truss (Gives a vaulted appearance) for increased headroom.

Raised collar is probably the easiest to construct, think generally a third up is where you want to be.

i used txg shiplap built 2005 still looks new couple off coats ducks back every 5 or so years and its 100% dry
5" is cheaper than 6" by double the difference as in the extra inch adds the equivalent off say 33% -40%to the cost for only 20% extra coverage
and the actuall coverage is 109mm for 5 inch plus a 2mm gap =111mm so planed it for full planks including the 2.5-3" overhang at the bottom to protect the 18mm ply floor and the joist ends

Last edited:
What are you having for the roof covering?

You could build a scissor truss (Gives a vaulted appearance) for increased headroom.

Raised collar is probably the easiest to construct, think generally a third up is where you want to be.

Roof covering will be 12mm osb or ply depending what the merchant has.

Think I'm going to go for the 1/3 raised tie, easy to build and should do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back