shed roofing felt upside down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Assembled my first shed yesterday. Quite proud. Very level.

Only trouble is as I was tacking in the second layer of felt (seen on the front) I noticed it had sparkly bits on top and the other side didn't. Nothing in the instructions about which side goes on top so I had just not thought about it.

It seems the sparkly bits are meant to go on top.

Do I need to remove it all and start again or does it not make any real difference? If it does make a difference would a second layer over the upside down bit make it even better or would the added weight be a bad idea?

IMG_20200509_070857.jpg

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion, this, but you’ve made a real smart job there (y)
The sparkly bits are probably meant to reflect the sunlight and give more protection to the felt, but shed quality felt is pretty crap anyway......have you considered felt shingles as extra protection? They do seem to be more sympathetic to expansion and contraction, various designs are available and also include ridge cappings etc.
John :)

Cheers!

Never heard of shed shingles. They do look great. Could I just lay them over the felt or would it need to come off first?

As the shingles are often fixed with nails which are hidden by the shingle overlap they also help to secure the existing felt layer......personally I like to use the kosher adhesive too so the original felt can stay. Always best to see what the manufacturers say, of course.
I find that the existing galvanised nails do tend to let water in after a while, and take care to seal the gap between the felt and the barge boards, above the door.
Looking good!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just whack a second layer on top, it will be fine. Add a couple of battens (approx 30mm x 10mm) to both sides of the roof to stop the wind ripping it off. About a third of the way along from the ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back