Shed wiring (already connected to mains)

I guess my question then is: is there any difference between a permanent "hardwired" circuit and a non permanent "off a plug" circuit in terms or regulations?
In my opinion no there is no difference between:
sockets screwed to a wall and permanently wired in, and
sockets screwed to a wall and permanently plugged in.

I come across this sort of installation on a regular basis.

As an example: in a scout hall there is a sort of loft area where one of the leaders installed fluo lights using T&E but wired into a 13A plug. He did it to avoid them having to pay an electrician. Sadly their insurance company did an inspection (I know not why) and insisted on a completed installation certificate before they would renew cover.

I'll stress In my opinion there is no difference between sockets attatched to the fabric of a building regardless of how they are powered.

The information on that site is renowned for being flawed on some of the more technical subjects.

Sponsored Links
is there any difference between a permanent "hardwired" circuit and a non permanent "off a plug" circuit in terms or regulations?
There isn't.

When part P was introduced, electrical installations in gardens were notifiable. Several manufacturers created dubious products for garden lighting/power which plugged in, and the manufacturers of such things claimed that by being connected via a plug, it somehow removed them from being notifiable. They were wrong.

I guess my question then is: is there any difference between a permanent "hardwired" circuit and a non permanent "off a plug" circuit in terms or regulations?
In terms of 'who is allowed to do what', there obviously is effectively no difference - since, as I explained, in both England and Wales the law allows anyone to undertake any electrical work (including 'hardwiring' anything), provided only that they do the work safely and notify any work which is notifiable in the country concerned.

That therefore just leaves notification. As I also explained before, the work we were talking about (adding socketis to an existing circuit) would not be notifiable in England, even if 'hardwired'- so, again, effectively no different from doing it "off a plug".

As I also said, the work might well be notifiable in Wales but, if it were relevant to you, you would have to find someone else to tell you whether you could wriggle out of that by connecting the new ('outdoor') sockets via a plug/ socket. I very much doubt it, because the version of 'Approved Document P' (not 'law', but government issued guidance about the law) which is still current in Wales (although it has been superseded in England) says:

1659309273504.png

... and a 'special installation' is is defined in ..

1659309502574.png

Kind Regards, John

As I understand it (I am not a lawyer).

There are two major questions. firstly is something part of the
building at all? and secondly if it is part of a building is it notifiable under the building regulations.

If something is fed from a plug, not fixed to the building in any way and is able to be easily moved out of the building then as far as I understand it's not a part of the building and therefore building regulations are not applicable to it. There may be other laws of course, if you sell the item you would have product safety legislation to contend with and if you allow it to be used in a workplace you have the electricity at work regulations to contend with, but I don't think there is any law preventing you constructing arbitrarily dangerous electrical equipment for your own personal use.

But if you fix a complex arrangement of electrical devices to the building, then I don't think you could argue that it is not part of the building merely because it is fed from a plug.

The second question is whether it is notifiable, and the answer to that depends on what part of the UK you are in. England and Wales used to have the same rules, but the rules in England were radically changed while the old rules remained in force in Wales. I have no idea what the rules are in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Particularly worth noting is that the old rules (still current in wales) and new English rules work in the opposite way, under the old rules all electrical work in domestic premises is notifiable except for a list of non-notifiable activities. Under the new rules only specifically listed activities are notifiable. Since the old rules are still in force in wales, and since a lot of advice on the internet was written based on them I think it's worth discussing both.

The old rules were quite complex, some activities were exempted from notification in any location, others were only exempted from notification if they were "not in a special location," and others still were only exempted from notification if they were "not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation".

In particular "Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit" and "Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit" were non-notifiable only if they were "not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation". Relavent to the topic at hand one of the "special installations" is "Outdoor lighting or power installations".

The guidance in the approved document ( https://gov.wales/sites/default/fil...lations-guidance-part-p-electrical-safety.pdf ) says "Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring" but that's only "guidance" not part of the law itself.

On the other hand work on "Prefabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections" was exempted from notification as long as it was "not in a special location,". The question then becomes how far "prefabricated" can be stretched, I think something made on site from arbitrary components is definitely not "prefabricated". The kits flameport mentioned with the socket pre-attatched but where you wired the plug yourself seem to be stretching the limits of the definition.

On the other hand the new rules in england have no mentions of plugs and sockets at all. All mention of Kitchens and Special installations is gone too.

It's worth noting that the building regulations lists of "special location" and "special installation" are much shorter than the BS7671 lists.

Sponsored Links
@plugwash I essentially agree with all you have written, but it is essentially nearly all about Wales (where the OP may well not be).

As far as England is concerned (where the OP may well be), I think/hope we can probably agree that there is no issue for the OP (no difference between 'hardwired' and 'plugged in' - which is what we were asked about). Provided only that it is an 'existing circuit' that is being extended (and even if that circuit did not currently supply the shed), in England it could be extended to sockets (or anything else) in the shed by 'hardwiring' without the work being notifiable, so obviously equally true ('the same') if there was a 'plug and socket' in the supply, rather than everything eing hard-wired.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back