Sheet wood for bed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some sheet wood to add to a bed base to make it like a divan top. What type and thickness would you recommend? Thanks

Sponsored Links
not exactly sure what you mean ??
slats are great for ventilation
something like 12mm ply with many holes drilled would replicate that
but whatever you do it will have a mattress on top so not sure off the problem :rolleyes:

I mean I want to make it so it has a solid top like a divan. I don't like slats, and we regularly air the mattress so ventilation won't be an issue. So you think plywood is a better option than mdf, our chipboard then?

chipboard and mdf are cheaper but heavier as you need to compress 4 or 5 times the now short fibres into the space to try and replicate the strength
assuming its a a say 1m wide without a center support or a wider bed with a centre support you can choose the sheet material you wish without a problem but as i say "exterior ply" tends to be best iff a bit more expensive
but keep in mind you wont have the "spring " off the slats to give coushioning so need a decent matress for other than light/young kids

Sponsored Links
Used 18mm mdf for my super king bed base , made two singles and use a sheet to lock them together on top and covered sides in cloth .

slats are great for ventilation

Ventilation of the under side of the mattress is essential. Water vapour from warm bodies can cause dampness in the lower layers of the mattress if there is no ventilation to disperse that vapour out of the mattress

and we regularly air the mattress so ventilation won't be an issue

optimist !

I would like some sheet wood to add to a bed base to make it like a divan top. What type and thickness would you recommend? Thanks

I was surprised in breaking up a good quality divan to ease its disposal, to find the base just used a dense thick cardboard top, with 1x2" or 1x3" wooden framework under.

I was surprised in breaking up a good quality divan to ease its disposal, to find the base just used a dense thick cardboard top, with 1x2" or 1x3" wooden framework under.
Divan bases are just a basic box made as cheaply as possible , no ventilation is required, you should turn and rotate your mattress monthly to avoid dips and keep it aired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back