Shelter in back garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friends neighbour has built a sheltered cover from the extension into the garden using wooden posts, its about 15ft into the garden and is above the height of the fence. The roof is plastic. Is this allowed?

Sponsored Links

I don't kno the legal requirement but i'm pretty sure if it's as high as 15ft it would need planning permission. You can ask your council what height a construction needs to be before it requires planning permission - you don't have to give your neighbours details or anything and just say it is a general enquiry.
If it is over the permitted height you can then decide whether to report it or not.
hope this is of some help :oops:

It will be classed as 'development' under planning law, and if not permitted development, then it would require formal permission

Sponsored Links
Also if it does need planning permission, you will be able to object to it if you feel it interfers with your quality of living. If council do not consent to it, it will have to be taken down even if it has already been built.

Cheers, it is big and now has a drainpipe attached to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back