Shifting door hinges up 3 mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a door which has dropped 2 or 3 mm on hinges. The latch isn't in the right place now.

Shall I fill old screw holes with tapered wood glue then re pilot hole or is there a quicker way?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
20210630_091334.jpg
Please show us pictures of the door, both sides.

The catch seems a bit low and doesn't go into its hole. Figured if I raised hinges 2mm it would
20210630_091310.jpg
View attachment 237838
20210630_091301.jpg

Please show us pictures of the door, both sides.

Both sides.

Move the staple (keep) in the frame.

Consider buying some screws that fit the hinge.

When you do that, look at the screw holes for fit.

The door itself may have sagged, so photograph it from the other side, closed, so we can see if the top of the door is still in line with the top of the frame, and the bottom, with the floor.

I use bamboo skewers (BBQ type) in previous Screw holes.

if it’s a big whole, wooden golf tees can also be whacked it an used.

Ive often used matches.

But...

Looks like a heavy door, and the rebate in the frame is too big, and the hinge has slipped down to the bottom of it. I bet the holesare in the right place and the screws are now slightly angled.

Repositioning it could well fail in the same way.

Either loosen the screws, lift up the door, and fill in the gap at the bottom of the rebate, or...

Move the staple (keep) in the frame.
whssign.gif

Much easier - could probably have done it in less time than posting this topic.....

I would place a lever under each side of the door in turn to lift it . This should establish by the movement where or what has failed.

Ever seen those Winbags? Much easier
Ive had some for years and posted pictures of them in use on this forum JAK.
My use of a lever was to quickly rattle the door up and down and peeps probably have easier access to a bar than a set of Winbags

Last edited:
Does the customer know that you are asking how to fix their door on a diy site while they think they are paying a tradesman???????????????????????????

I think not!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back