Shipping container.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to build a garage/workshop but bought a shipping container instead. I have read some threads on here regarding supplying electric to it, and would like more advice on how this should be done.
I include pictures of my supply. By the way I think my supply looks like it could do with upgrading, but when my new digital meter was installed I mentioned it and the guy said it was fine. Does it look fine to you ?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Were them pictures taken after the new digital meter was fitted?

Seems your meter man forgot to seal the cutout?

It also looks like the security sticker isn't broken so he hasn't pulled the fuse?

Cutout looks fine, can't see anything exposed it just looks like the cover is too high to cover everything.

Sponsored Links
Seems your meter man forgot to seal the cutout?

It also looks like the security sticker isn't broken so he hasn't pulled the fuse?

Cutout looks fine, can't see anything exposed it just looks like the cover is too high to cover everything.

The sticker is broken, It was already broken when I moved in, and the seal was also missing. ;)

But yes he seems to have forgotten to seal it. Which I am happy about.
Should the incommer be anchored to the wall ? It is basically dangling from the cutout.

Looks ok to me from the picture but I'm no cutout king.

Phone your supplier and tell them your CUTOUT looks unsafe.

They will get the mains fellas out to have a look and give it the once over that we can't from the picture.

Looks ok to me from the picture but I'm no cutout king.

Phone your supplier and tell them your CUTOUT looks unsafe.

They will get the mains fellas out to have a look and give it the once over that we can't from the picture.

Cheers.

I understand this work is notifiable.

Does this sound acceptable ?

Electricity supply to container.

2.5mm 3 core swa terminated close to cu in an adaptable metal box using gland.
Flylead from banjo inside box, run with the L, N and E, through a grommet, into the cu in trunking. This connected to a 32a mcb on the 100ma rcd side of the cu.
Through the wall in pvc conduit sealed on the outside with mastic.
Supported by catenary wire to the container.
Through the side of the container at the top in a 25mm Nylon Cts Gland.
Then the same setup in the container as in the house, but connected to a 30ma rcd in the cu.
Also will earth bond the doors to the main body then from there to the cu.
Does this sound acceptable ?

Any advice would be appreciated especially on the best way to exit the adaptable box with the swa leads to the cu. I think there will be a better way than a grommet. And the best cable to bond the doors to the main body.

Cheers.

I would think you be better off making the container a TT supply.

I forgot to add, the total cable length will be no more than 12m

32A down a 2.5mm SWA?

Surely you'd be better dropping a 4 or 6mm in so you've some spare capacity?

32A down a 2.5mm SWA?

Surely you'd be better dropping a 4 or 6mm in so you've some spare capacity?

My fist thought was 4mm but then thought 2.5 would be adequate.
I wouldnt be using a great deal of power in there.
A small heater sometimes plus the odd power tool, batery charger, alarm system and a couple of florescent strip lights.
Thinking about it though you are right 6mm would be a better choice.

House to container - 6mm 2 core SWA, armour only connected at house end.

Container:
SWA into insulated enclosure (or metal one inside a plastic box) so that no part of the metal gland is exposed, and the armour/gland is NOT electrically connected to the container.
Consumer unit with 30mA RCD main incomer, MCBs as required.
Earth rod(s) for the main earth connection
Bonding from container to earth bar in CU.

Why would you not just extend the houses earth outside to the container?

Surely the nice tasty TN-S earth is going to do a better job than an earth rod...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back