Shock from power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst showering, I picked up the shower head at one point and got a relatively strong electric shock from it. The hose and head are chrome and are replacements of the original ones (plastic) that had deteriorated, but they have been used for quite a while without issues.

I tested the head against earth and found that there was a considerable voltage (188V). When I isolate the device at the fuse spur there is no voltage at the shower head.

I suspect that the device is damaged and to further substantiate this I tried turning the regulator half-way and then turning on the shower at the fuse-spur and on occassions, the pump would hum and not impart any extra pressure to the output flow.

What is weird is that the chrome hose connects to the shower enclosure through a plastic threaded coupler and the device enclosure is also plastic, so it seems the voltage is being conducted through the water.

I just got a replacement power shower because given its age and the risk, it is not worth servicing.

I have two concerns at this stage:

1. Why didn't the RCD trip when I got a shock? The shower circuit is connected to the main RCD at the consumer unit. I tested the RCD at the consumer unit using the test button and it did trip in this way.

2. Are these power showers so susceptible to electrocuting users on failure? The chrome hose and head do not help, but even so, it seems the water was conducting in the first instance and not the hose.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Water is an electrical conductor, although not a very good one.

A digital voltmeter will show a voltage even when the resistance is such that no appreciable amount of current can flow.

"Relatively strong electric shock" is subjective, and the surprise of it can make you think it worse than it was. The magnitude of what you experienced may not have been enough to trip the RCD.

It's also possible that even though the RCD works via the test button it's not quite right - it would be worth asking an electrician to give it a proper test.

You need an electrician to inspect and diagnose the fault.
With regards to the RCD, all you have tested is that the mechanism has not seized or jammed. You have not actually tested that it is detecting earth leakage at the limit and time permitted.

I have a friend who lives in a social housing bungalow and he said he was getting shocks when having a shower electric in this case.

So he reported it to his landlord and they sent an electrician to inspect the electrics and found no earth to the property as someone had cut about a foot of earth wire from inside the meter cupboard outside.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the feedback.

I phoned Mira and they said that using a different shower head could have damaged the pump and electrics due to it being more restrictive, which I think is quite plausible.

I'll be having the shower replaced and the RCD checked.

Andrew

I phoned Mira and they said that using a different shower head could have damaged the pump and electrics due to it being more restrictive, which I think is quite plausible.

Andrew

Do you?

Some people will believe anything..!

Andrew

Do you?

Some people will believe anything..!

xr4x4: Isn't that a bit harsh? The OP asked for advice, thanked people for it and posted an update with the progress. If you think they have been given bad advice from Mira (given your reply, I suspect you do), why not explain it to them?

A couple of people have suggested it, so I am not sure why you haven't gone with it? Get an electrician in. If they are there for 2 or 3 hours, it will be cheaper than getting a new power shower and having it fitted.

What Mira have told you sounds like rubbish to me!

Thanks all for the feedback. I phoned Mira and they said that using a different shower head could have damaged the pump and electrics due to it being more restrictive, which I think is quite plausible.
Do you? Some people will believe anything..!
xr4x4: Isn't that a bit harsh? The OP asked for advice, thanked people for it and posted an update with the progress. If you think they have been given bad advice from Mira (given your reply, I suspect you do), why not explain it to them?
I have to agree with xr4x4, although, as you say, the 'quip' was probably not called for.

As for 'explaining it to them' I suspect that xr4x4 is in the same position as me - what Mira have told the OP is so unplausible that I don't think that anyone but Mira could give any clue as to what on earth was in their mind!

Kind Regards, John

A couple of people have suggested it, so I am not sure why you haven't gone with it? Get an electrician in. If they are there for 2 or 3 hours, it will be cheaper than getting a new power shower and having it fitted.

I could have asked Mira to repair it for £135 flat, but it's not worth it when a new one is £160 and the old one is some ten years old. Some electricians would have probably charged even more than that for 2-3 hours' work.

Andrew

But you may have a wider electrical issue here that needs addressing - such as a broken main earth connection or bond.

I would suggest getting an electrician to check things over first.

But you may have a wider electrical issue here that needs addressing - such as a broken main earth connection or bond.

I would suggest getting an electrician to check things over first.

I don't see how the main earth connection would have a bearing on anything; the shower hose and head are not intended to be earthed as the shower hose connects to a plastic thread.

I don't see how the main earth connection would have a bearing on anything; the shower hose and head are not intended to be earthed as the shower hose connects to a plastic thread.
I agree - but for the same reason, one should not get shocks from, on be able to measure voltages on, the shower hose/head - so who knows what's going on?!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back